Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6T Transmission Oil Color

Mark S · 2022-03-29 16:00

At the risk of sounding like a rookie, I am, what color should the transmission oil be on the dip stick? I have checked it many times and it’s always a light yellowish color and it’s hard to see on the stick. should it be darker like the engine oil? I realize the transmission oil in lighter in color out of the pail, I’m just trying to confirm.

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2022-03-29 16:26

    It should be clear and bright when it is in good condition - almost transparent. Often very hard to see on a dipstick or in a sight glass. Cat sell concentrated oil dyes. You only have to add maybe a teaspoon to the system to colour it. We often use dyes on machines with multiple systems so that we can tell by the colour which system is leaking. Generally red in hydraulics and blue in transmissions. Part Numbers are 9U5031 for red and 9U5032 for blue.

  2. #2ugis2022-03-29 16:28

    Use an oil dye to determine the oil level. I agree that it is very difficult to tell without dye. The oil is normally very light in color.

  3. #3Mark S2022-03-29 17:22

    Thank you for the insight.