Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7 17A Final Drive

LG 78 ยท 2022-08-21 20:45

HI team I should have sold the old girl but anyway.. I heard a knock in the right hand side final drive Just drained the oil and this came out Do I just take the drive off and replace it with the one off my spare parts machine (which is still complete and running) or do I do a bit of investigating and try to fix this one Looks expensive Thanks for your help

Replies6
  1. #156wrench2022-08-22 10:12

    If you can, i would pull the complete assy off your parts machine and change the whole assy out and then assess the damage to the original one at your leisure after the machine is back up and running

  2. #2LG 782022-08-22 14:26

    Maybe the easiest way forward, I am thinking of using the same hub though so that I dont need to change sprockets over so might look into taking it off first and see what lies beneath

  3. #3Dave Neubert2022-08-22 17:03

    You need a cat press to take it apart and put it together you can pull the whole cover and sprocket off in one piece but you will most likley damage he seal. It takes at least 70 tons to press sprocket off. If your top pinion is bad you will have to pull steering clutch to replace it clutch hub has to be pressed on and off too

  4. #4epirbalex2022-08-22 17:44

    Not a good idea to wreck a going machine . Is it possible to load up the running machine with the good bits from the failed one ? Never know when the other final drive may fail . Big dilemma , I can see a need for a third dozer , one not running .

  5. #5LG 782022-08-22 18:51

    Yes very true on that 3rd machine epirbalex Is anyone keen on having that conversation with my wife?

  6. #6Puffie402022-08-27 10:10

    Looks like the complete face of a gear tooth. Hopefully it's from the bull gear and not the pinion, but either way that is the beginnings of a death rattle from that final, and immediate service is needed. General Gear in Boise (tractorparts.com) should have some 17a's in his wrecking inventory.