Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7 3T Blade Sheeve Blocks

Prospectorgav ยท 2016-10-03 06:09

Hello forum, I have a collapsed bearing on one of my sheave blocks on my dozer blade. I have taken both the rope pulleys out of the sheave block to the local bearing place who measured them up with verniers and are unable to provide bearings for it. The attachments for my dozer are not listed in my parts catalogue for part numbers. The roller bearing runs directly on the inside of the pulley and has a insert on the inside of the bearing in which the pin goes through to hold it all in place. The inside surface of the pulley could be worn as the grease holes in the insert had blocked up and the bearings were running dry. I read on the internet Le Torneaux supplied the attachments for the machine and not Caterpillar. Any part numbers would be much appreciated.

Replies14
  1. #1hvguy2016-10-03 08:02

    could you put the pulley on a lathe, turn it out to a diameter to fit a more modern, double sealed bearing... something more off the shelf? Sounds cheaper than OEM and possibly more skookum.

  2. #2Check Break2016-10-03 11:36

    Post your question on the ACMOC Bulletin Board. They'll be able to answer your question and tell you how to get your 3T going again. http://www.acmoc.org/bb/forumdisplay.php?4-DISCUSSION

  3. #3old-iron-habit2016-10-04 00:20

    Good advice above about going to the ACMOC site. The blade will be a different book than the tractor. More than likely someone over there will have one extra laying around to sell. Of course on that site after about 3 posts you will be asked to post a picture of your machine.

  4. #4Prospectorgav2016-10-04 17:40

    Thanks for the input. As far as machining the pulley to suit a bearing, due to the bearing running directly on the inside of the pulley I would say it was case hardened. I don't think you can machine hardened steel with a lathe. I think you can only grind it with a grinding stone or hone. Correct me if I'm wrong. I joined up ACMOC and will post on there site if anybody has had any dealings with these sheave blocks and how to repair them.

  5. #5Delmer2016-10-04 19:32

    Hardened steel can be turned on a lathe with the right tools. Depending on how much you plan to work this, I'd cut a piece of galvanized pipe and drill a couple hole in it so the grease gets to both sides, and don't forget to grease it every 50 hours. It sounds like the pin through insert is the odd part that you can't match up? Or is your existing insert reusable?

  6. #6Scrub Puller2016-10-04 19:40

    Yair . . . I'd just turn up a piece of brass to take the place of the bearing, Keep it lubed and it will run for years. Cheers.

  7. #7Prospectorgav2016-10-05 06:56

    Not a bad idea with the brass. I will see what the ACMOC bulletin turns up with. I worked underground for several years diamond drilling supplying core to the geologists. The miners underground used scraper blocks and a hoe for pulling the rock from the rock face in shaft mines with a air winch. They were similar to my sheave block with two rope pulleys. Maybe I could modify one of them.

  8. #8old-iron-habit2016-10-05 08:50

    Have you checked with your Cat dealer. Even though it may be a non Cat blade, Cat provided many parts for accesories provided by there suppliers like Letourneo and others. Cat used after market blades for a number of years, mostly LeTourneo, before making there own.

  9. #9alskdjfhg2016-10-05 09:18

    Brass is actually a terrible bearing material, you want BRONZE. They may look alike, but they are very different. And yes you can machine hardened steel in a lathe, the level of sophistication depends on how much you want to spend. The easiest and cheapest way would to just peck at it with a carbide tool. You'll eat inserts, but it's just a one off.

  10. #10Old Magnet2016-10-05 11:16

    Here is the 3T Sheave arrangement. Don't know if LeTourneau is the same or not. Bound to be some around. Here are some sources.... http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/partssearch.aspx?partnum=1J1150&pst=starts

  11. #11Old Magnet2016-10-05 16:20

    Your bearing guy is a flake. Bearing 7B7423 crosses to a Bower/BCA #J923246. Also plenty of the bearings listed on the same Machinery Trader source.

  12. #12Prospectorgav2016-10-05 18:08

    Your a legend Old Magnet. This is what I was after, some numbers. Where did you source this info, I be very interested in getting this book as I have no info for the blade or sheave arrangement. I will try again at the bearing shop or Cat dealer. This is what the forums all about.

  13. #13Old Magnet2016-10-05 20:13

    Keep an eye on ebay.....

  14. #14old-iron-habit2016-10-05 21:23

    You got that right when you said Old Magnet is a legend. He has helped tons of folks sharing his excellent knowledge and his extensive library. He has helped me a number of times. When you see his many thousands of posts on the ACMOC site 99% of them are helping folks. Not like me where 99% is BSing.