Hello, I am on a mission for my father to help him find parts for his new (old) dozer. He is unsure of the year and thinks it is around a '54. He picked it up at auction last week and it seems to have a water leak. He will be taking it apart this week to figure out if it's one of the tanks or the core or what have you. And my job is to figure out where to find parts for it, specifically a radiator at the moment. Does anyone have any idea where to get parts for it? Thanks
Is there a radiator in it now? Any good radiator shop that works on big equipment would probably be able to recore your's assuming your tanks are usable. Go to your local Cat dealer and ask the service manager who does their radiators. If you were in Central NY I'd send you to our guy! They have never failed to repair or replace one we had.
Check out the ACMOC site and under discussion look at the stickies. Also post what you need in the for sale/wanted and where you are at and you will get help.
I know it's a bit far away from you but John Parks at General Gear in Boise more than likely has what you need.
The 3T and 17A use the same radiator. A new core is going to be hard to find and will be pricey. The fan is a pusher and sand and grit will sandblast away the radiator and cause it to become thin & leak. Solder it and the solder quickly wears away. So remove radiator and remove both tanks. Turn the core around so the worn side is facing out toward the front. you will have to make new gaskets and clean the surfaces of the tanks & radiator and use permatex before bolting it all back together. Run a tap through all the bolt holes. Ive used liquid nails glue to fix leaking radiators with success.
Yes there is a radiator in it now. He will be pulling it this week sometime to actually see why it is leaking. Thanks for the advice I will be passing it along to him.
Thanks for all the great advice. I will pass it all along to him. Printed out your script Old Junk Man as he will understand it better reading it than me explaining it This is a great start. I appreciate your help immensely. :notworthy
I believe I would pin point the leak before I pulled the radiator.