Hi all I'm working on an old d7e that suddenly was way over full on the dipstick one morning and determined it was fuel that was the culprit so we replaced the lift pump and seemed to be fixed the next time we went to run it same thing overfull.... soo called cat they sent a mech down and he said the new lift pump seals were junk from the time we put it on (brand new pump from cat classic) so he repaired it. Today we dropped the oil AGAIN because we had the problem fixed or so we thought... after the oil change it immediately began overfilling and fuel started running down the side of the block from the 3rd hole from the front between exhaust manifold and block... not cool at all so now I'm thinking injector problem?? Has anyone heard of this before? Any help would be awesome
Check the fuel gallery seal (0-ring #8B4967) between the fuel injector pump housing and the governor housing. When this seal leaks it allows fuel to migrate into the main engine sump.
I'm with old magnet ,,, he knows his stuff
Thanks old magnet I will give that a try. What would cause the large amount of raw fuel coming from the exhaust port?
If it's just one cylinder with a wet exhaust port I would suspect a dribbling injector nozzle or a nozzle that isn't properly seated. If it's all cylinders I'm thinking diluted oil has got past the rings. Both cases assume that you have been running the engine with the indicated problems.
Yes it was ran briefly between pumps after oil changes. I will tear into it hopefully tomorrow and see what I find. Thanks for your knowledge!
I have a 48a also did the same thing it was the o rings in the pump area. Razz.
I've not had a chance to look at it yet we have been plowing in field tile the boss man had the cat man at the shop today I and they had it all apart but I don't think they have found the problem yet. Hopefully I'll catch the mech at the shop tomorrow and see what the deal is. Kind of glad I got put on tile plow duty because if its stumping a cat mechanic that cut his teeth on old cats I wouldn't stand a chance!