Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7E 48A Pony Motor

TJ Tims ยท 2021-08-25 08:23

Looking for a D7E 48A pony motor or parts to rebuild one

Replies22
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-08-25 09:59

    Welcome to HEF, TJ ! I cannot help you with your pony motor. But, have you considered converting your dozer to electric start ? There is a lot of good information HEF on how to do it.

  2. #2TJ Tims2021-08-25 12:17

    I offered that option to my customer, they want to keep the pony motor.

  3. #3hector gemme2021-08-25 13:09

    I have some good used PONEY parts for D7 48A if I can help [email protected]

  4. #4TJ Tims2021-08-25 17:29

    I need a crankshaft, main bearings, rod bearings and rings

  5. #5hector gemme2021-08-26 12:21

    What the crankshaft .rod , and pistons parts number

  6. #6hector gemme2021-08-27 12:33

    I have 1 crankshaft for D7 48A and parts number on is 3S5531

  7. #7James Sorochan2021-10-23 14:52

    Did you find your pony motor yet? I have a complete one that came out of a 1963 D7E 47A model. When I bought machine a couple months ago it had been converted to 24Volt starting system. The gentleman included the pup motor in purchase. He said it was working fine when he took it out.

  8. #8TJ Tims2021-10-23 17:18

    I have not. please send some pictures of it. How much do you want for it. Thanks Tim

  9. #9James Sorochan2021-10-23 22:47

    Hi Tim. I tried posting the pics I took but they are to large of file. I'll see what I can do to fix that. If you can email me I could send to you that way.

  10. #10Tinkerer2021-10-24 07:44

    James; If you want to resize a picture super easy, I use a program called PIXresizer. It is free. https://bluefive.pairsite.com/

  11. #11TJ Tims2021-10-24 10:30

    [email protected]

  12. #12James Sorochan2021-10-24 12:21

    Here is the picture.

  13. #13TJ Tims2021-10-28 20:14

    Did you get any more information on that pony motor?

  14. #14James Sorochan2021-10-28 22:43

    Hi TJ, The guy I bought the machine from isn't getting back to me. I opened up the crate that it came in and jump started it. Turns over fine. The gear oil is clean and also engine oil. He over filled the engine oil for long term storage I'm guessing so it needs to be drained down to correct level. I'll send you a video of it turning over.

  15. #15Andrew S2021-11-04 10:20

    I think any D7 17A and D8 13A (1958), and up from those models, may have the same pony motor or at least many of the parts are interchangeable between them. It uses the CC oil in the diesel engine but yet has its own oil compartment. The pony engine on the older D7 3T and D8 2U and on back were all together different. I'd rather have a good pony engine than an electric starter.

  16. #16James Sorochan2021-11-04 11:53

    Are you looking for one Andrew?

  17. #17Andrew S2021-11-04 12:03

    No. I was just sharing what I've learned from messing with them over the years. You're not limited to just your model tractor for pony engine parts.

  18. #18TJ Tims2021-11-04 13:09
  19. #19TJ Tims2021-11-04 13:09

    I am having internet problems. Give me a few days. Thank you

  20. #20wild012024-01-24 00:53

    any chance you still have this pony motor? I seized up my d7-17a pony a couple weeks ago.

  21. #21James Sorochan2024-01-24 08:44

    No I don't. But there is a guy in Edmonton that says he has a couple.Here is the Kajiji add.

  22. #22hector gemme2024-01-24 11:56

    The poney 17a and 48a are't the same model the front and center support is't the same model,the inner water pipe and outside water pipe are different,the exhaust pipe is different and more