Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What’s this part called and how to get order number?

Gustomaximus ยท 2021-08-25 08:52

Hi Guys - complete newbie with a dozer. Ive broken a part for the second time and thinking to get new one rather than re-weld. - Dozer is a Komatsu D31-P, serial 26411 (1980's I think) - Close image of broken part: http://prntscr.com/1qhvxjt - Further out: http://prntscr.com/1qhw2e5 I think it called a tilt rod? Is that correct and anyone know how I get the part number to order? Im in Australia if that matters. /Angus

Replies20
  1. #1Plant Fitter2021-08-25 09:41

    Deleted double post

  2. #2Plant Fitter2021-08-25 09:44

    The correct term would be "pitch" not tilt. Tilt is side to side, digging in a corner of the blade or lifting it out. Pitch is how far the blade leans back or forward. Contact Komatsu, email them a photo and some measurements of it to be sure.

  3. #3John C.2021-08-25 11:54

    I think you need the page in a parts book that shows that. It all looks kind of home made even where it connects to the C frame.

  4. #4Delmer2021-08-25 12:32

    IF that was original before it broke the first time and gained the cobbled on bits, then I'd take it off and bring it to somebody to fix it properly. Then learn what you did wrong to break it. And don't do that.

  5. #5djordje12021-08-25 14:42

    I don't have a matching parts book for part number

  6. #6djordje12021-08-25 14:49

    114-72-21720 ROD TILT

  7. #7John C.2021-08-25 14:57

    You need part number 8 in the drawing. What I am concerned with is the part of the C frame that it attaches to. I don't know if it is the angle of the photo or my memory of what that part looks like but something strikes me as wrong.

  8. #8djordje12021-08-25 14:59

    https://en.av-gk.ru/catalog/komatsu/d31p-11c/210010/

  9. #9John C.2021-08-25 18:31

    Thanks for the diagram. I still don't understand what I'm looking at. I see all the burned paint and the extra stuff welded on the dog bone. The design just looks like it is intended to fail. Maybe someone was trying to pull something from the top of the blade.

  10. #10Vetech632021-08-25 18:44

    Yikes!!!

  11. #11.RC.2021-08-25 19:00

    I think that it part of the tilt system for that blade. ---------------- A simple welding job will fix it.

  12. #12John C.2021-08-25 21:45

    It holds the top of the plate from tipping forward or backwards. The ball joints allow the blade to tilt and angle. The top piece in the C frame that the dog bone connects to has an odd angle on it. I don't recall that particular set up but the memory fades.

  13. #13.RC.2021-08-26 05:07

    It is definitely the tilt. The broken eye is connected to a lever that is connected to a hydraulic ram.

  14. #14Plant Fitter2021-08-26 08:50

    Okay, I only saw one photo, but now realise there are two photos, the second shows a bit different picture, and the bent rod could indeed provide the tilt for the blade. It looks to me like the piece that the rod connects to is also twisted. I would contact Komatsu for some prices before deciding whether to repair.

  15. #15John C.2021-08-26 11:36

    OK, that explains it better in my mind. Instead of the tilt cylinder connecting directly to the blade, Komatsu left it on the C frame. I still can't image how there was enough force to break that dog bone though.

  16. #16Gustomaximus2021-08-26 11:53

    Just to answer I had someone add the thick steel support, but the other end broke. Im wondering if I reinforce the other end I just break something else more expensive further down then... depending on the part cost I was wondering to worder a few of them and just replace every so often when it breaks. Broke it making a track in a steep gully. Edge of blade hit a tree root that didn't want to move.

  17. #17Delmer2021-08-26 14:41

    It's a six way blade that's operated by three cylinders, so they all control all the functions, or something like that. Doesn't matter one bit what that cylinder and link DO (as long as it's not modified), I don't think that tiny link bent those mounting ears, and the link appears to be still there under the cobbled mess, easy choice, find the price for a new one and see if you'd rather repair or replace. From what I've heard about Komatsu, you won't likely be ordering spares once you see the price, and it shouldn't break ever. if it was common to break, somebody would know all about it. I can't see those ears getting bent anyway or anyhow. Anytime something like that breaks, somewhat unexpectedly, you want to inspect all the joints to see if it's worn so much that it's moving more than it should, or putting different forces on the link than it's designed for. That is, it could be binding on the swivel, or the ears, or the cylinder travel could be using up the "reserve clearance". Even #10,11,12 missing could make it bend rather than push/pull.

  18. #18Welder Dave2021-08-26 15:41

    Who ever welded on it must not have had much experience. Rebar is the last stuff I'd use to strengthen something on a dozer. Were you going fast or on a steeper slope that the weight of the dozer contributed to the break?

  19. #19Dave Neubert2021-08-26 17:53

    From the picture it looks bent too I would just get a new one that is a cobbled up mess. It will never stay wit that bend. Or at least cut both ends off and weld a new piece of round stock to it

  20. #20Dave Neubert2021-08-26 17:59

    Call for priceKOMATSUAvailable: 2Updated: Thu, Aug 26, 2021 Part Location: Newfane, New York 14108 ConEquip PartsNewfane, New York 14108Phone: (716) 708-4529 they show having 2 of them