Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7e 48a water pump issue

Macsmobiletimbermilling · 2020-10-25 04:12

Hey guys I have a D7e that’s starts and runs good never gets hot but coolant comes out the weep hole on the water pump after I shut it down. Any ideas?

Replies16
  1. #1Cmark2020-10-25 05:00

    My idea would be to replace it before it stops being a weep and starts being a cooked engine.

  2. #2Macsmobiletimbermilling2020-10-25 05:18

    Water gushes Out of it once I turn the motor off only doesn’t leak when running or parked up

  3. #3.RC.2020-10-25 05:40

    Leaking water means the seal is stuffed. Fixing the water pump will be cheap compared to a rooted motor

  4. #4Cmark2020-10-25 06:15

    For now. You're lucky you caught it in time. My advice is to replace it before it turns into a disaster.

  5. #5Vetech632020-10-25 08:24

    It shouldn’t leak at all, running or not.

  6. #656wrench2020-10-25 11:35

    on a gear driven water pump, if and when the weep hole gets plugged, the coolant will be pushed into the crankcase via the oil seal on the water pump shaft.

  7. #7Jonas3022020-10-25 16:14

    And that is the bad part its not just an add antifreeze problem its putting coolant in the crankcase and tearing up the bearings

  8. #8Bls repair2020-10-25 16:52

    This brings back to mind the saying “pay me now or pay me later either way your going to pay me.”

  9. #9Macsmobiletimbermilling2020-10-25 17:15

    Thanks guys I’ll look into replacing the seals. I have only owned the dozer for 12mths and was told the water pump was only just rebuilt before I got it. They replaced the radiator and the water pump at the same time. I was thinking maybe it’s done a head gasket

  10. #10Cmark2020-10-25 21:10

    When it's running the pump has low pressure at the centre of the impeller. When the engine stops, the cooling system is pressurised due to normal operation and will force the coolant past the seal until all the pressure is gone, then the leak stops.

  11. #11.RC.2020-10-25 22:05

    Unless you do it government style. What is government style? A welfare bludger was walking along the street and a prostitute was there soliciting. The bludger says how much to do it government style? The prostitute not having heard of government style decided to add 20% onto their normal fee. So the bludger agrees and off they go and do whatever they were going to do. The prostitute noticed nothing was done out of the ordinary and was wondering what the hell is this government style. So the prostitute asks. What is government style. The bludger says. Send the bill to the government.

  12. #12Delmer2020-10-25 23:41

    Do you WANT it to need a head gasket? If you don't trust your judgement rebuilding the water pump, have somebody else do it, it failed to soon already. They put in a cheap rebuilt water pump, and it failed shortly. If the cooling system was pressurized by something wrong, wouldn't it blow out the cap don't you think? Or blow the radiator hoses or tanks apart? the seal fails of it's own and leaks, or the bearings took out the seal, or TERRIBLE water took out the seal, not anything else unless you're the most unlucky guy to ever touch a Cat.

  13. #13Macsmobiletimbermilling2020-10-26 00:43

    Delmer some coolant does come out the cap but it has a hole in it for where the last owner tried to fit a gauge. I ordered a new cap but it’s taking its time getting here. I will be rebuilding the water pump this week. Thanks for your input

  14. #14Macsmobiletimbermilling2020-10-27 02:20

    Hey fellas How do you find aftermarket parts vs genuine cat gear? Just interested in your views?

  15. #15Cmark2020-10-27 03:02

    Depends on how mission critical the part is. If it's, for example, an aftermarket cutting edge that happens to wear out in half a shift then there's not much lost. For your water pump I wouldn't even consider taking a spin on the aftermarket Wheel Of Misfortune.

  16. #16Macsmobiletimbermilling2020-10-27 05:24

    Yeah that’s what I was thinking. When I ordered the parts for the water pump today they gave me two aftermarket options and than genuine cat. Cat stuff wasn’t that much more anyone