Just a couple quick questions that hopefully some of you guys have seen or been there and done before. Went to fire up my D7e today that is direct start. I always use the decompression though just to make the starters life easier. Flipped it over as usual but once I tried to get it back to run it was stuck and stuck good. Is it possible for it to go over cam and then not be able to go back? I've never had it apart so I don't know exactly what's in there or how it works. Sprayed a bunch of penetrating oil in where it rotates behind the panel by your feet. Tried working it back and forth but no dice. Took the decompression lever off and was hoping to be able to see inside better but nothing. Sprayed more penetrating oil in around it and still no go.
might be the ball detent for the lever could be really crusty, is right behind the lever.
It has been a bit sticky in the past but never like this. Will see this morning if the penetrating oil soaked in any over night.
The spring loaded detent plunger assy should be bolted to the back of the block below where the decompression shaft comes out of the block like on a D342. The plunger is likely seized. If you are flexible enough, you may be able to reach around the corner and remove the assy to clean and lube it. Of course, the probability of dropping any or all pieces and having them drop into the stump pan is directly proportional to the difficulty of accessibility to retrieve said pieces.
This happens when the plunger mechanism wears, sometime you can stick screw driver in behind the dash and fool with the plunger to release, otherwise there are 2 bolts holding the plunger assembly to the head for removal. Probably need to move the dash back a little. Next time just don't throw the lever completely over and it shouldn't stick. If it's bad enough you may need to replace both parts, plunger assembly and detent shaft. You will see what I mean if you look between the head and dash.
56 wrench is correct 2 bolts to the block not head, my bad
Thanks guys I eyed it up and I don't think my sausage fingers will fit in there. Lol. And as you say good luck finding the little parts that fall into the abiss.(just had the stump pans off 10 hours ago so at least they'd be clean to find the pieces though lol) I think I can slide the dash back just enough hopefully without undoing any wiring or levers. Just have to find the time to tear it apart now. One more project on the never ending list. Thanks again that gives me a little better idea what I'm getting into.
Was rainy and wet this morning so I tore into it. I'd say this is probably the root of the problem. Shaft switched back over to start by hand so the problems not internally thankfully. Doesn't feel like there's a pile of wear on the shaft cams. There's definitely some but I'm thinking replacing just the cup spring and pin should right it for now anyways.
Now to see if cat gives me funny looks when I give them the part number. Lol.
That's the problem, it's kinda hard to get back in, if you start one bolt then pry it into place with a big screwdriver to get the 2nd bolt in it's easiest
I put it all back together yesterday just so I could fire it up and do a bit of work with it. Decompression works fine now as long as I is my hand to push it over just far enough to open the valves. Didn't get a chance to phone cat yesterday. It's to bad it's all cast I'd just build it up and machine it true. Considered drilling it true and pressing in a sleeve but it's worn pretty bad. Found a few listed online but didn't phone any of them yet to see if they actually had any stock. Prices ranged from 82-214 dollars. Not a very common part anymore I don't think.
you could build it up with silicon bronze braze, really great properties.
Just might have to, phoned cat today and the bracket is nla. Plunger and spring are still available oddly enough. Plunger was the cheap price of 172.00 though. Told him I hope its gold plated lol. Just going to run it as is for now. I know now what to do to avoid it so as long as I'm the only one running it all should be fine for the time being.
The plunger can't be that much, it must be a mistake. Call Florin Tractor in Sacramento Calif. Many models had the same parts, maybe they have a good used bracket. I'm guessing the $172 was for the bracket when available
Seems to be plenty of those brackets out there... https://www.machinerytrader.com/list/partssearch.aspx?partnum=4H8967&pst=starts
OM thanks those hadn't showed up when I googled it. Should've known better I guess and searched directly on their page. Usually it shows up in my google search though. Ironically there's 3 of them in Saskatoon which is where my brothers work. Will have to call and see if they're good shape or worse then what I've got lol. It's possible it was a mistake but I went part number by part number with him on the phone. Seemed awful high to me that's for sure. Edit I misspoke they're in Regina. Had them confused with another similar company in Saskatoon.