Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7E Head Gasket Replacement, needing torque spec and valve lash specs

Slim Tech ยท 2017-02-14 20:38

I am looking for the torque specs for the heads & the measurements for adjusting/checking valves on a D7E s/n; 48A12788 Anyone out there have that info? TIA, Slim

Replies20
  1. #1kshansen2017-02-15 09:40

    SIS is kicking my but on this one, keeps coming back " Sorry, but there are no equipment configurations that match serial number '48A12788" Guess this might be too old for Cat to have put it into SIS. Not sure which engine this had but as you say "heads" I'm guessing it's not a 3306! Hopefully someone who has access to older info can help.

  2. #2Slim Tech2017-02-15 09:49

    We had to look up info on "micro fiche" (spelling?) For the machine to order the head gaskets.

  3. #3Nige2017-02-15 11:15

    Does the S/N plate on the engine carry the same number as the S/N on the tractor..? If you it is a pre-3306 engine, a D330 I would think. There is some data on SIS regarding D330 Industrial, Marine, and genset engines. I would guess the information that the OP is looking for would be common to all of them.

  4. #4Old Magnet2017-02-15 14:55

    Engine is a 4-cyl D339 Exh 0.020" (Hot) 0.018" (Cold) Int 0.016" (Hot) 0.014" (Cold)

  5. #5kshansen2017-02-15 18:19

    Old magnet, That is what I was thinking but do not have access to and of that old of info. The key for me was when he used the plural "heads"!

  6. #6Slim Tech2017-02-15 20:52

    Thank you very much! Just what I needed.

  7. #7DMiller2017-02-15 21:01

    I feel your pain, friend of mine still has a 1971 Pete with a 1693 Cat engine, dual overhead cam engine. Fabick techs squirm everytime he calls.

  8. #8Slim Tech2017-02-15 21:19

    Do you recommend any type of gasket sealer for these gaskets?

  9. #9DMiller2017-02-15 21:24

    If I remember correctly Cat always stated DRY. On some engines with steel sheet gaskets we would prep the block with a lite coating of Copper Coat gasket sealant to compensate for wear marks(heads shift on the block while running making erosion marks). What style gaskets are the replacements? Single layer sheet, crush sheet steel or composite steel/fibrous?

  10. #10Slim Tech2017-02-15 22:09

    Looking like single layer steel

  11. #11Old Magnet2017-02-16 01:16

    I recommend this stuff (both sides of gasket)...... Be sure you have proper liner projection 0.004 to 0.008" with liner clamped down.

  12. #12Cmark2017-02-16 03:30

    Interesting point. I have also always assembled head gaskets dry. However I was building a C15 last year and lo and behold a note popped up on SIS saying to use gasket sealer on the spacer plate gasket. This information is definitely new. If I get time tomorrow, I will try to find it again.

  13. #13Slim Tech2017-02-16 06:57

    checking/measuring liner projection may be tricky..... Any tips on that?

  14. #14Slim Tech2017-02-16 06:59

    Same here, this older stuff is before my time, so I know there are people out there with information that is quite different than how current things are done.

  15. #15kshansen2017-02-16 09:06

    Cmark, Hope you don't mind me looking it up for you: 4C9505 sealant.

  16. #16Cmark2017-02-16 15:19

    Not at all!

  17. #17Nige2017-02-16 17:28

    Surely it's not too difficult to find a piece of solid bar that will span between 2 cylinder head studs/bolts (bearing puller spreader bar maybe...? Use that to pull the liners down and a set of feeler gauges under the bar to the top of the cylinder block to measure the projection.

  18. #18Slim Tech2017-02-16 18:18

    Called CAT, they said it's discontinued. Ordered the Permatex Super 300, none of the 12 shops we contacted had any or had even heard of it for that matter. Thank you all for the help, generally I can get info from CAT, this one was a little more difficult for them.

  19. #19Slim Tech2017-02-16 18:20

    Thank you, I knew there had to be a way to "engineer" something, and I had my own ideas but I wanted to see what others had done. I had only used actual liner projection gauges in the past.

  20. #20kshansen2017-02-16 19:17

    Well here is a link to a few pages of cross overs to Loctite from Cat Part numbers, I believe the third page show the 4C9505 to change to a 5923 Loctite number http://www.proloctite.com/caterpillar/downloads/globally-approved-products.pdf Here's a link to the Loctite Technical data sheet: https://tds.us.henkel.com/NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/50133CC0D5D93C92882571870000D918/$File/MR 5923-EN.pdf Here is the Technical Data Sheet on the Permatex Super 300: And if you want to compare to Permatex #3 that should be available at any good parts store here is that Technical data sheet: