Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7E transmission seal leak

texaschad25 ยท 2017-03-01 19:56

D7E 48A1083x I've got a massive leak where the input shaft goes into the front of the transmission. It appears to be a seal failure but the manual is not clear on how to get this seal out. Any (and I do mEan any) help on this would be appreciated!

Replies8
  1. #1Mark2502017-03-01 20:44

    remove floor plate remove jack shaft remove flange retainer bolt (3/4 hex head) slide flange off shaft remove seal with prybar

  2. #2texaschad252017-03-01 23:02

    Thank you very much Mark!

  3. #3Nige2017-03-02 03:51

    When you remove the transmission input yoke (#37) to get at the seal inspect the outside closely in the area where the seal runs. It's not unknown for the seal to wear a groove in the yoke. You may find the you are into replacing the yoke as well as the seal.

  4. #4texaschad252017-03-02 23:03

    Thanks for the tip Nige! I got the seal out but the race is not going to come out without a fight. I've pulled, pryed, cussed, then pryed some more with no luck. It doesn't help that there is little space to work in.

  5. #5Old Magnet2017-03-03 01:53

    Seal replacement should be an easy job, remove the two retainer bolts, the retainer and the yoke any pry out the seal. You can use a "speedy sleeve" if the yoke seal surface is grooved. Why are you attempting to remove the bearing/race? Are they shot? If so it will be required to remove the transmission to remove the input shaft.

  6. #6texaschad252017-03-03 02:04

    I was referring to the metal portion of the seal.

  7. #7Nige2017-03-03 03:41

    4lb hammer & a sharp chisel..? Cut it in one p,ace and it ought to sort of screw out. I realise you're battling in a confined space.

  8. #8DMiller2017-03-07 08:42

    I use 'Speedi-Sleeves' used to be from National seal now from SKF for yoke repairs. Thin SS that is a drive fit onto the yoke wear region, usually less than .011 thick these make having to replace a yoke unnecessary. http://www.skf.com/us/products/seal...als/wear-sleeves/skf-speedi-sleeve/index.html On stubborn outer press fit races we used to protect everything around that region and weld the inside diameter of the race, would slip out after cooled.