Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7F I should have bought….

D6c10K · 2012-12-31 21:11

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=5875653&convertTo=USD Has and antifreeze leak that put water in the oil so it's either got a bad head gasket or liner seal but that wouldn't be hard to fix. G/L wouldn't allow a preview so the undercarriage is an unknown. Should I keep bidding?....it's only 30 miles from home.

Replies30
  1. #1Greg2012-12-31 21:32

    Rule No. 1. Never buy anything site unseen. They say something about a hole in the side of the cylinder walls. What does that mean? If it had antifreeze in the crankcase I would be dropping the pan to check the main and rod bearings to see if it got to them. Undercarriage is a total unknown. Pads look like they have a lot of wear. The other thing with the D7F series is the older ones had the D7E transmission which was not suited to 3306 engine to good. Later they came with basically the same transmission from D6 produced at that time. There were some balance issues with the D7F's too. I would walk away as you could wind sticking a ton of money in this thing. Many of the Government liquidation machines are not that great.

  2. #2roddyo2012-12-31 21:34

    It would be a cheap winch tractor and it has started recently. Both pluses If you can run it enough to justify at least part of a uc go for it ...if you need it. You will probably never find one any closer. I have a high SN 10K with the same problem. It's two big to hire out here and I don't need it at the farm anymore so I really don't want to put a kit in it to run 50 hours a year. I'll try to watch this one to Maybe get an idea what mine is worth.

  3. #3D6c10K2012-12-31 21:58

    Cat dealer supposedly drained water and oil and put in new oil....then they started it up. That leads me to believe the the "hole" is just someone at G/L writing the description that doesn't know anything about equipment. (I've done head gasket and bottom end bearings on a 3306 in-frame and it wasn't too bad.) By the serial # it should have the later D6 trans. Pics do show a fuel/oil leak running down over the top of the fnal drive. Couldn't talk the G/L rep into letting me go look at it.....it's in an unsecured location he was afraid people would steal parts off of it. Tried telling him that the auction price was going to suffer if it was sold without preview. Considered driving around the area until I found it, but didn't want someone calling the cops on me. (Located on Corps of Eng. Property) Greg, I understand there could be a lot of hidden problems and it might be tough loading out if we don't get rid of some of the snow and ice we've got. Would it hurt to run it long enough to pull on a trailer without water in the engine? Probably should pass on it but it's tempting.....

  4. #4mitch5042012-12-31 23:16

    Wow, $15,777

  5. #5Hendrik2012-12-31 23:30

    Question is, has it done 842 hours or 10842 hours?

  6. #6ben46a2013-01-01 05:59

    Either way its a tidy looking machine. Has twin tilts too. But 15000 plus ten percent buyers premium sounds a little steep.

  7. #7OldandWorn2013-01-01 07:10

    Yeah, I was shocked at the price but that winch sure is sweet.

  8. #8oldirt2013-01-01 07:56

    looks like 10K+ hrs to me.. more than one paint job, Indirect injection motor, rather large leak of something over right final might be fuel, motor has been apart more than once by the looks of paint and new hoses, nice huge winch with all cat controls, wonder if the floor boards are missing for a reason, this thing has not run for at least one year, look at the weeds growing out from under it. F's were not a hot item once the g's came out. I would say the price reflect salvage value, do you want to spend quite a little time with a torch and large air tools to dismantle it? Selling parts off these things takes a long time, finals might be worth 3K if they are ok but who knows if that is true? If you want a runner this is a huge gamble..

  9. #9Multiracer2013-01-01 08:38

    Did you guys see the D7H with 1600 hours on it ? The only thing I see it would need is a conversion C-frame for a blade.

  10. #10caterpillarmech2013-01-01 09:13

    Good looking machine. If you are in the market, I'd snag it.

  11. #11tctractors2013-01-01 10:09

    Most probable cause of water in the sump is a few £ seal in the waterpump,there is view dates posted but the price would be past the Dealers interest possibly.

  12. #12CDUB2013-01-01 11:37

    The price on the D7H is super cheap until you figure shipping. Does anyone khow what it would cost to ship a dozer from Guam?

  13. #13D6c10K2013-01-01 12:09

    Can't imagine what what would cost. Saw some other dozers up for auction on Guam that looked good until you noticed the rust....the floor plates were rusted clean through around the brake pedals. Never been around sea water but I can imagine it can be really corosive.

  14. #14Multiracer2013-01-01 12:30

    Sorry, I missed the location as out of the country.

  15. #15OldandWorn2013-01-01 12:53

    There is a 3 minute video that I missed the first time around but it still doesn't show the UC very well. Rails look like they may be very worn.

  16. #16Bob/Ont2013-01-01 13:11

    Keep bidding, that's got a 3306 and the water in oil could be the water pump. To check, take off cover behind pump and you will see coolant laying inside by the gears. Later Bob

  17. #17jake9802013-01-01 15:52

    so did they just fire it up without coolant in it after draining it? I have seen those 3306's with the liners cavitated. Maybe the cat dealer pulled the oil pan, pressure tested the cooling system and saw the coolant leaking through the liner into the pan. Sounds very fishy. I like how it says has 842 hours on "this" hour meter!

  18. #18tctractors2013-01-01 16:05

    The Belly guards are full of crap so no pan off antic's as I said water pump a good bet on this chariot, the hour meter thing??? I never look at them as a true scale, I just look at the big lump all over, Guam thats near the Kangaroo Land ??

  19. #19stinkycat2013-01-01 16:10

    Spent a year on Guam in the early 60's and everything rusts out in a very short time couldn't leave out over night they swell everything was kept in a closet with 100 watt light to keep it dry. Nothing ferrous would last very long.

  20. #20D6c10K2013-01-01 18:41

    Had an uncle that spent time there during WWII....he was thinking of volunteering as a gunner on a B17 until he saw one come in low and crash on landing. In the 80's a cousing piloted B52's to Guam with a load of Nukes.

  21. #21D6c10K2013-01-01 18:44

    Wouldn't the water pump have a weep hole to keep a leak from getting to the oil?....Suppose even if it did it would likely be plugged with dirt.

  22. #22roddyo2013-01-01 19:58

    They can....or will fill up with dirt. Our sideboom flagged water in the oil on the oil service one time. You talk about people moving around Thinking you need a motor when the pipegang is in site. Somebody thought of the weep hole. Hard to clean out.....but solved the problem

  23. #23jake9802013-01-01 20:41

    very true... but whose to say they didnt check it a year/half a year previous, and then the old ("well we only need it for a couple more months deal")... and finished off the job....not trying in anyways to start an argument, I've just seen some many guys get burnt buying auction machines.... Id be looking into the oil cooler as well...

  24. #24D6c10K2013-01-02 22:09

    Auction result....Wow! I figured it would sell well...maybe mid 20's, but I'm shocked it went that high. $34,750 + 10% = $38,225 Must have been two guys that really wanted it. http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=5875653&convertTo=USD

  25. #25oldirt2013-01-03 06:52

    or bid it back in.. my guess.

  26. #26caterpillarmech2013-01-03 09:04

    That's about 20 g more than I would have given. Some one has big plans for it.

  27. #27ETMF 58 White2016-04-23 19:49

    I know this thread is older but there is talk about the weep hole on a 3306 possibly being plugged up and that is what I am trying to troubleshoot on my D6R. Getting oil in the coolant, but not coolant in the oil. Already replaced the oil cooler and the new reman cooler failed almost immediately so Cat replaced it under warranty. But I'm still seeing oil in the coolant header tank. Oil samples come back clean. Cat man thinks I may be getting oil across the water pump into the coolant, so he wants me to see if the weep hole is stopped up. The problem is that I can't find the weep hole. Can someone point it out to me? I took the side screens off and took this photo.

  28. #28ETMF 58 White2016-04-23 19:56

    Here's another photo of the water pump. I see a little freeze plug- like thing and the side of the pump but I can't feel a weep hole anywhere. I suppose I'm just trying to feel for a small hole plugged up with dirt.

  29. #29GregsHD2016-04-23 20:51

    That freeze plug is the weep hole, it's got a little hole popped in the center of it. I'd say it's next to impossible for the oil to get into the coolant via the water pump, and if it could somehow, you would have coolant in the oil for sure once pressured up. I'm thinking it's residual oil your seeing in the rad from the oil cooler failure... How many times did you flush it out with dishwasher detergent?? It can take a lot of flushing!

  30. #30ETMF 58 White2016-04-24 16:18

    I flushed it about a zillion times, but I could never get it really hot enough IMO, so I just put it back in service. Then a few weeks later I had a bottom cooler seal go bad, so I thought well I will finally get it clean now. I sent all the coolers to a radiator shop for a good soaking, and I pressure washed the bottom tank while it was easy to access. Put it all back together with new cooler seals and clean coolant. But, rats! I'm still seeing oil every morning floating on the coolant. I figured the water pump theory was a long shot. I think I will go ahead and drain the oil, try to rig up an air regulator and pressurize the cooling system for a couple of days and see if coolant starts dripping on my shop floor from the oil plug. See attached photo for how much oil I can suck out every few days when I'm really using the dozer on a good job.