Hi there everybody. I have been lurking here for quite awhile and have learned many things, but now I have a few questions. Our neighbor is selling his 1978 D7G and it is equipped with a ripper (no teeth in it) canopy and sweeps, and twin tilts. This machine has been basically rebuilt over the last 2000 hours. The torque and transmission have been totally rebuilt, all new hyd. pumps, bearing roll on the motor, rad and water pump, both final drives, all new hyd hoses. The undercarriage is about at 50% and he is also throwing in a complete set of tracks and pads that are also around 50%. What do you think would be a good price on this cat? Also I am wondering what it costs to do a final drive? He is doing it right now on the machine. The nut came loose and the bearings and gears all need to be replaced. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Thanks for your input.
twin tilt is an angle blade. I would have zero need for one of those, maybe you would rather have that than a straight one. I wonder about the other final, you can get 10G in one on a 7, hopefully a chunk or bearing didn't get in between the pinion and case cracking the case. Look for oil on the outside of the case in front of the pinion, just above the roller frame. With the ripper this tractor will weigh close to 60K.
Don't think it is cracked. When I looked at it last night the gears didn't look all that bad, but they still do need replacing. If it is cracked he would be replacing it. Our neighbor who has had this cat has owned dozers for the last 30+ years. That is why I want to buy because I know the history of it. He has owned it for about 8 years and before that another guy in the area owned it. I thought that machine would only weigh around 45 or 46K according to the specs I found.
My D7G 92N parts book shows shipping weight with open ROPS and ROPS mounting of 35,450 lbs. That's with no attachments.
A couple of years ago you could buy a D7G at Ritchies with decent u/c for around 30,000. If you know the niebour and now the history and work done obviously that's worth a fair bit. I would think a fair price would probably be around that 45,000 mark yet. If the u/c is getting down below 50% then high 30,000. That's assuming the rest of the tractor is in as advertised shape. U/C is a bit of a sketchy thing as far as percentages. Some ones 50% could really mean about 25% too when you looke at the overall picture. I've got a D7E that's going to need complete u/c in the next year or two and so far best price has been 18,000 for a complete set. Weight I would put it in around that 55,000 lb mark with the ripper. Borderline legal on a tandem lowboy to say the least. Ryan