Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7G Australia

Buggo ยท 2022-10-08 19:08

G'day. I am a farmer in Australia. I purchased a D7G a few years ago and I am just learning how to use it and drive it. Having great fun. I got a workshop manual with the Dozer. I have been reading many posts re D7G's and love it. I have learnt a lot. I am not a Mechanic but want to learn how to do almost everything myself. I have worked on my Diesel tractors for years. My machine does use engine oil, does use Trans oil, does use hydraulic oil. I don't use the dozer for long periods just 2 to 4 hours at at time. Over that time I may use about 3mm on the engine oil stick. 2mm on the trans oil stick. Not sure on the Hydraulic oil. I check the engine, trans and final drives while the engine is warm and idling. I empty about 250ml out of the Passengers side final drive and about 50ml out of the drivers side. is this normal. Should I be checking the final drives whilst the engine is idling. . I look forward to your replies. Buggo

Replies8
  1. #1James Sorochan2022-10-08 20:33

    Hi Buggo. Maybe post your serial number so everyone can answer your questions properly.

  2. #2Buggo2022-10-08 20:47

    James. thanks for the reply. Serial number 65V3998 1981 model

  3. #3Jonas3022022-10-08 21:09

    Its not normal but common to lose transmission oil into the finals on a old girl we just drain them off once in a while and top off the transmission

  4. #4James Sorochan2022-10-08 22:35

    The experts hopefully will pipe in here but I think the tranny and final drive oil is the same. 30W T0-4. I believe but will wait for others to verify. If your only using the machine occasionally I wouldn't worry about getting into it unless it gets a lot worse.

  5. #5Welder Dave2022-10-08 22:45

    D7G's are apparently one of the easier Cat's to work on. Have heard an engine can be pulled in a couple hours compared to other models that take several hours. Hopefully you won't need to be pulling the engine out any time soon.

  6. #6Buggo2022-10-09 04:37

    Thanks Mate.

  7. #7Buggo2022-10-09 04:43

    Thanks Mate. Its a great machine. I am just learning but having great fun. Thanks Welder. I am also a welder "Boilermaker" by trade. I love my Cat. Easy to drive and easy to work on I think. . Buggo

  8. #8Buggo2022-10-09 04:45

    Thanks James. I think they are the same. I will have to check. Buggo