Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dozer blade mole board question

nicky 68a · 2022-10-08 01:07

I know it’s abit of a daft question,but can anyone tell me the correct term for the bit of a blade that the corner shoes and cutting edges sit on please. I’ve spent 30 years referring it as a mole board,yet I’ve receantly heard it as a Mold board by a chap with greater knowledge than me.

Replies17
  1. #1sled dog2022-10-08 01:13

    Nicky, I've always heard it refered to as the " frog". The mold board is above that.

  2. #2nicky 68a2022-10-08 01:19

    Sled Dog,you’ve thrown me a new word into the equation with the Frog thing!!! However,I note you refere to a mold board

  3. #3sled dog2022-10-08 01:27

    I think moldboard came from the original steel breaking plow. It would "mold" the overturned dirt from the furrow.

  4. #4nicky 68a2022-10-08 01:35

    That makes sense,but you’ve now got me thinking of a little mole burrowing the soil up

  5. #5Cmark2022-10-08 03:19

    For me the mold board is the curved bit of the blade. The part the cutting edges bolt to would be known as the Sole Plate, but that is really just a throwback term from when it was common for dozer blades to actually have a Sole.

  6. #6Nige2022-10-08 06:32

    What's that blade from.? It looks like a wheel dozer blade. I'm the same as sled dog. The curved part of a grader blade is the moldboard, the part at the bottom where the cutting edges bolt on I know as the frog although I'm sure that's more a colloquialism than anything. In the illustration below from a 16 grader #3 is listed as "Moldboard As." For a dozer I've always referred to the whole assembly as a blade assembly rather than a moldboard, not even the part where the cutting edges/croner shoes bolt on.

  7. #7Pony2022-10-08 07:01

    From knocking around with my old man as a kid, graders had a moldboard and dozens had a blade.

  8. #8Cmark2022-10-08 08:02

    It's just the first illustration in sis with a sole plate I came across. When I was starting out, it's the term all the old boys used.

  9. #9Nige2022-10-08 08:18

    The only time I've heard the term sole plate used is for the horizontal bolt-on GET on the underside of a wheel dozer blade.

  10. #10John C.2022-10-09 11:28

    I've heard both terms used by all kinds of people enough that I figured them as interchangeable. Say either term to a knowledgable parts person and they know to ask for clarification. Can ho still buy the piece with the bolt holes to weld into the blade?

  11. #11CM19952022-10-09 11:36

    I've always heard and referred to it as the mold board. In addition the local slang is cutting edges and end bits that bolt to the mold board.

  12. #12JPV2022-10-09 14:51

    I have always understood a grader has a moldboard, a dozer has a blade and the part the cutting edge bolts to is the frog on both.

  13. #13redneckracin2022-10-09 18:54

    Always heard a dozer had a blade bit and the ends of the cutting edge were referred to as bits.

  14. #14Shimmy12022-10-10 00:44

    Mole-board/mold-board on graders, blade on a dozer, the cutting edges bolt to the frog.

  15. #15nicky 68a2022-10-10 02:35

    Thanks for all your replies. I’ll have to try and start calling it a moldboard from now on. Ironically,one of the dozers is currently ripping in a Quarry in Mold,North Wales UK

  16. #16Queenslander2022-10-10 03:29

    I thought that, being from the motherland, you may have called it a mouldboard. The ploughs here are mostly spelled mouldboard as they first came from England, but the grader/dozer blades are moldboard, as they first came here from the US.

  17. #17nicky 68a2022-10-10 04:36

    I didn’t know that Queenslander. I was at the Komatsu factory in Birtley,County Durham UK last week where Caterpillar made many blades,rippers and scraper boxes in the 1960’s.