Hello I am running a D7H 79Z01723 crawler and I recently had some transmission work done. The shop that I deal with put TGH hydraulic oil in the transmission which is equivalent to 10W. The book says I should use 10W CD/T0-2 oil, not sure what the difference is but they say lots of guys run TGH so they don't have to change it in the winter. Temperatures are starting to be around 32 F and lower at night. I don't mind switching back to 30w in the summer, if that is what I am supposed to do, I just don't want to damage the tranny with the wrong oil. So I am just wondering if i should change it.
I'm not sure what TGH hydraulic oil is (Googled it but no help) but I'd bet my bottom dollar it doesn't have the additives in it for powershift transmission service. Most 10W hydraulic oils do not have the additives to comply with TO-2/TO-4 requirements but conversely a TO-4 can work fine in a hydraulic system. Do you by any chance have a data sheet for the TGH oil that's in there now or can you post a link to one..?
If this isn't right, I will try and find it later. http://www.nemco.mb.ca/userfiles/PD...coTractorFluidandLowViscosityTractorFluid.pdf
If that's the stuff then I have bad news for you. Nowhere does it specify that it meets either Cat TO-2 or TO-4 specification. TO-2 was the latest & greatest back in the day when your D7H was built, TO-4 is today's current standard. From what I can see TGH oil is designed for manual transmissions, gear cases and tractor rear ends equipped with wet disc brakes that use a common oil. To all intents & purposes your D7H uses separate oils for each of those components. Nowhere does it mention TGH is suitable for powershift transmissions. This would immediately worry me because powershift clutches require a certain specific additive package in the oil to function. I don't know who told you it was an equivalent to 10W because the regular TGH (9.34 cSt @ 100C) is somewhere close to a 30 (11.4 cSt @ 100C), maybe say an SAE 25. The TGH Arctic version (7.6 cSt @ 100C) is still heavier than a 10W (6.3 cSt @ 100C), something like an SAE 15 or even a bit heavier. So if the shop can't even get their viscosity equivalents correct then what else are they not telling you..? If it was mine I would stick an SAE30 TO-4 oil in it and make sure that I warmed the transmission up correctly when doing a cold startup at low ambient temperature. To be 100% correct you should use an SAE 30 Grade TO-4 oil for cold starting when the ambient temperature is in the range of -10C to +40C and an SAE10 TO-4 for the range -20C to 0C. However I think it ought to be more than possible to use SAE 30 year-round.
Shaunw, Sounds like that oil is a universal tractor oil,Cat says it is not to be used as a TO4 replacement oil.Cat has a multigrade TO4 oil that may be what you need called TDTO-TMS . You might call your local dealer and ask aboot it. If that was my machine I would try to get that shop to stand good for a oil&filter change,much cheaper than a transmisson. Bob
Multi-purpose Tractor Oil (MTO) - that's what I was thinking about but could not recall the name. I am reading from Cat publication PEHP3050 which says in big bold letters - Cat MTO does not meet Cat TO-4 specification and should not be used where Cat TO-4 fluids are recommended. Remember that TO-2 had already been replaced by TO-4 when MTO came into existence. Shawn, if you want a copy of the publication I'm quoting from as justification that your local shop used the wrong oil in your D7 then please send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll fire you off a copy. The list of manufacturers' specifications which MTO meets is literally identical word for word with the TGH oil link you sent to me. I've also got the data sheet for TDTO-TMS mentioned above by Bob which may be of interest to you.
I also farm and use tgh in our tractors, that is why I thought it was incorrect. We use 30w in our terex with the allison powershift. It works good but takes a bit to warm up when it is -10 celcius, I sometimes have to start as low as -15 but usually don't run much lower than -10 C. The cat dealer thought I should be using 10W but wasn't sure if I wanted to change oil summer and winter.
Found this on nemco site for TGH and it lists caterpillar TO-2 as one of its applications. Not sure if they used nemco oil or not I will have to call them tomorrow. http://www.nemco.mb.ca/userfiles/PD...sheet_NemcoTGH_ArcticTGHTransmissionFluid.pdf
Hard to read on the good old Dingleberry. I'll have a better look at it in the office tomorrow morning and get back to you. Thinking about it the multi-grade TDTO recommended above by Bob would probably be the mutt's nuts in your climate with the temperature swings you see throughout the year. I'm surprised your Cat dealer didn't think to recommend it.
Your 2 links are 2 spec sheets for the same oil, but with different dates. If you look at the bottom of the last page of each document you posted there is an Issue Date. The one in your most recent post is marked "Issued August 2011" and includes a reference to the obsolete Cat TO-2 standard, the first one you posted is marked "Issued January 2013" and does not contain a reference to TO-2. I would have to go with the most recent version of the document and surmise that when Nemco say the oil is designed to be a "multifunctional type fluids formulated specifically for tractors using a centralized system to lubricate the transmission, differential, wet brake, power steering and hydraulic systems" that it couldn't possibly meet the Cat TO-2 standard/usage guidelines because they are different. I'd suspect the link to TO-2 in the earlier was an error (or an unsupportable claim by Nemco) that was pointed out to them and that's why it has been removed between 2011 & 2013. Of all the options mentioned above I think I'd go with the multi-grade TDTO-TMS that Bob suggested. If you want the Data Sheet (or any others) drop me a PM with your e-mail address.
My d7h also has a winch on it that I rarely use and there is a large hydraulic hose going in to it from the top. I know it has its own sump and reservoir, but do the two run completely separate or do I need to drain them both at the same time. The winch has the wrong oil also, so if I have to change it I will do it in the winter in the shop if I don't have to change it now. I found the data sheet on the multi-grade and that looks like what I should be using. Only have about another 100 hours or so before I park for winter so not sure if I want to change in the field, guess I'll see what the weather does. Have about 400 hours on the TGH since they changed it.