Merry Christmas everyone! I'm in the process of trying to restore an old D8 14a. I have a complete dozer early serial # unit with dry steering clutches(worn out) and a lower frame, final drives, steering clutches and tracks that are in like new condition. I want to switch the trans, eng. and everything onto the newer serial#frame. Problem is I don't have the later linkages and brake booster pieces. Before ser.#4597 there is no brake booster, just linkage, and after ser#9250 it looks like cat went back to the non booster brake system for the 14a. Before serial #3861 the 14a is D8E with dry clutches. After this the 14a is D8F with wet clutches. Any insight on the hyd. boosted versus non boosted brakes would be appreciated. Also I'm looking for a donor machine preferably in northwest Canada or Alaska. I'm in the Yukon. For those who know where this is lets just say I'm remote. To reiterate I could use everything above the deck from a wet steering clutch D8F14a. Some have a hydraulic booster and some don't. Far as I can tell the internal steering clutches and brakes are the same on all wet machines. Seems than the non boosted system is simpler with less parts to give grief and leak. Cheers.
there is a fellow mike mc that took 2 d8 and made one. he found a few pieces that were not inter changable. he hangs around the http://www.acmoc.org/bb/forumdisplay.php?4-DISCUSSION hows is the weather up there??? thansk KoO Published Author
I used to work on them back in the 70's, the wet decks we worked on all had the booster with the dip stick down by the throttle. I did not realize the later 14A's were any different. I would go with what ever serial # on your wet case calls for. I think the latest we had was 7785
The weathers finally warming up! It's been a lot of minus 30 cel. Going above zero by the end of the week! Thanks for the responses gents. I'll keep hunting for that late ser. # carcass. Hopefully they are not all melted down. Maybe some scrap yard has one?
You would have a good chance of finding any D8 parts you need by putting an enquiry out on mod edit there are over 400 parts suppliers on it for all makes and models. You only have to make an enquiry once and it will go to anyone who supplies Cat D8 parts. The supplier contacts you directly if he has the parts.