Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

So . . . what’s the go with glowing turbos?

Scrub Puller ยท 2012-12-23 19:01

Yair . . . I mentioned on another thread that in "The Old Days" glowing turbos (in my experience) were normal and common . . . I have seen them glowing white hot and translucent to the extent it was possible to see the flicker of the rotating element within the housing. Is it not the same with modern equipment? The thing I suppose is that most gear does not work that hard these days. A case in point would be heavy haulage. It takes five or six hundred horsepower to do what used to be done with two hundred and fifty--and less . . . which would account for the turbo glow on the "B" model Mack . . . LOL. The exeption would be agricultural tractors, do the flash new ones get a glow up after a bit of full load ploughing? Just curious. Cheers

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies17
  1. #1TrentNz2012-12-23 19:46

    off topic, but, whats 'Yair' OT; yeah i cant see whats wrong with a glowing turbo, accept turning it off immediately after?

  2. #295zIV2012-12-23 20:08

    Nobody has ever been able to figure that out. My best guess is: Yankees Are Incredibly Resilient

  3. #3coalroller2012-12-23 20:17

    i thought that what pirates say yair matee. but could the lack of turbo glow be the cause of a higher compression diesesl and better fuel timing vs crank the snot out of it and dump the fuel in look at the coal roll

  4. #4Hendrik2012-12-23 20:45

    My guess is that modern technology makes some things better, perhaps modern oils cool better, more oil flow through the turbo bearings.

  5. #5powerjoke2012-12-23 21:38

    All of my stuff has hoods and lights so mine may glow but am unable to see it I guess........ Pj

  6. #6nextdoor2012-12-23 23:14

    Have a C16 in a tractor and that gets a nice cherry red. I dunno about my Fendt, there is too many covers over the engine to tell, but a 7.1 litre engine developing 360 hp me thinks it would be very red!!!

  7. #7D6 Merv2012-12-23 23:39

    years ago i remember having a D9H motor on a dyno. After running at full load for a hour i remember the exhaust manifold and turbo snail glowing red hot. Boss had a photo of it in his office. Got a pic somewhere of a NA 3304 on the dyno pushing out 100hp at full load with a flame coming out of its exhaust. Seem to remember caterpillars max allowable exhaust temps were about 700C for a NA engine, and know turbocharged was less temp. Last did that in 86 so memorys abit fuzzy; alcohol killed alot of brain cells since then

  8. #8rare ss2012-12-24 00:20

    it's all about the maximum power output of the engine, there days most engine outputs are run well below the capability of the engine for emmissions, reliabilty ect I know its a petrol but here's a late model 4.0L turbo engine maxed out on the dyno older engines would be running alot closer to their limits, for example what's a CAT C9 rated at out of the box? guys i worked with have one in a race truck which is putting put around 1200 Hp (abit more than factory ) and yep the turbo(s) glow, the only reason they turbos dont glow white on the dyno is they can't keep the traction on the rollers after 900Hp at the wheels

  9. #9mitch5042012-12-24 00:21

    I used to mess with trucks with gas engines a lot. No turbos, But the manifolds would glow white hot, and be translucent. I can remember seeing the my two IH spreader trucks w/ the MV404s pulling hard in deep mud in the dark, with the wheel wells glowing like they had halogen flood lights in them.

  10. #10Scrub Puller2012-12-24 00:43

    Yair . . . rare ss I figured as much. The only reason I started this thread was the obvious concern expressed by a few of the fellers on the turning up the fuel on D8 thread . . . engines worked harder in "The Old Days". mitch504 In another life I was a partner in a company that built hovercraft and one of the unreasonable requirements inflicted upon us by the certification authority was that the machine should be proven to be capable of five hours of full power operation. We tied it down in a shed in Christchurch and ran the 350 Chevy at full lift and full thrust for five hours and you could read a newspaper at ten feet from the white hot glow of the headers and five feet of four inch tail-pipe. TrentNz The Yair thing is just the way I talk. I'm a slow old b*****d and it gives me time to think before I start to yap. Cheers

  11. #11coalroller2012-12-24 00:48

    (thanks or thumbs up button inserted here)

  12. #12ben46a2012-12-24 07:25

    700 on the pyrometer isn't very much. i usually aim for (on a turbo engine) no more than 1200 sustained (measured pre turbo). having said that, i have a 6.7 cummins in a dodge ram pushing 900hp on nitrous and when puling it takes all of about 5 seconds to make the turbo glow orange, in the 1800 degree , but only for 15 or so seconds,

  13. #13John C.2012-12-24 13:08

    When we were putting turbos on the old 262 Cummins to make them 290s we would require pyrometers on the the manifolds. I was told that the piston crowns would start melting when the temps went over 1,200 degrees F.

  14. #14Scrub Puller2012-12-24 13:58

    Yair . . . I have never quite understood this exhaust temperature thing, could never grock how stuff held together at those temperatures . . . but it mostly did. As has been said it seems engines are built with a bit more in reserve these days. Cheers

  15. #15d4c24a2012-12-24 15:00

    our case 860 topcutter will get the turbo glowing , you can clearly see movement going on too cat dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAus_34TRKA

  16. #16D6 Merv2012-12-24 15:02

    700 C is 1300 F

  17. #17ben46a2012-12-24 15:38

    I neglected to see the C. DOH! In that case its a fair bit! But with not turbos to coke or cook and low restriction I can see that not being a problem!