Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8 final

chidog · 2022-12-31 22:37

I wish they would have shown how to remove the sprocket wheel.

Replies5
  1. #1nicky 68a2023-01-01 06:00

    I’ve watched a few of these videos over the years,and I have to admire them somewhat for their ingenuity in some of their methods.They have a positive ‘can do’ attitude and nothing fazes them.However,a lot of their work lacks basic intelligence and understanding of what the job entails for it to be successful and put back to work without anyone getting hurt. Some of those repairs wouldn’t last longer than a month or two,and may indeed result in some of their fitters residing in hospital. However,life and labour appear cheap to them,so they do what they do

  2. #2Nige2023-01-01 11:07

    That reminds me of a story about a construction project in India I was involved with many years ago. The previous day a construction worker had died in a fall from the roof of the mill building. In a meeting the top management were asked how many people had died to date in accidents on the project. “None of our employees” was the immediate answer from the director in charge of the site. For them what happened to contractors’ employees was nothing to do with their company even though it took place on their property. The response has stuck with me ever since and gives some idea of the thought process in countries with large populations.

  3. #3John C.2023-01-01 12:46

    A poor human in a poor country is treated little different than a piece of live stock in a rich country, except the poor man has to feed himself.

  4. #4chidog2023-01-01 19:04

    It hurts me to see them working with out such things as safety glasses or shields, and sandals for work boots. Whats sad is I've had to resort to some of the special machining techniques I see these people doing with hand grinders. I'd still like to see the press they use to get the sprocket off. This one shows how to remachine the tapered splines. Gotta love the extreme care used when handling the parts. I'd like to watch them work on aircraft next.

  5. #5nicky 68a2023-01-02 04:29

    I’ve been watching some YouTube videos on ship breakers in 3rd world countries. The Indian beach yards have to be viewed to be believed.It’s a sharp contrast to the Texas Brownsville ship dismantlers featured in the videos. The chaps in the D8 final drive video’s have things easy in comparison.