Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8 rear winch

Bmarsha ยท 2024-08-08 21:56

I have a 1956 d8 trying to get the rear winch to work the book says there's a lever for the PTO but I can't find anything in the cab. There's three levers for the winch is there something that has to be engaged to make them work? Any help will be appreciated

Replies9
  1. #1epirbalex2024-08-10 16:26

    What model of D8 and winch is this . A friend of mine had a D82U . There is a collar on the winch drive shaft that has a clip that fails allowing the collar to slip along the PTO shaft leaving the winch disconnected . He fixed the problem by putting some weld on both shafts to stop the collar slipping . I saw an issue with that if the collar could not move a little . Neither the job to replace the clip or putting the weld on the shaft is a little job . Harvey went down through the bevel gear housing to get at the shaft . He had been into the housing to replace a bevel gear and pinion so had an idea where he was going . The only lever I know of is the main clutch has to be engaged to drive the winch .

  2. #2sled dog2024-08-10 17:07

    This is only a guess, but are you trying the winch with the transmission in neutral and the master clutch engaged? The clutch has to be engaged to spin the trans and anything else.

  3. #3Bmarsha2024-08-11 21:55

    Thanks for replying I believe mine is a d8. 2U is what vin starts with and the winch is D8N I have tried it with master clutch engaged in neutral and in 1st and reverse.

  4. #4Old Magnet2024-08-11 23:09

    A three lever winch would be a two speed model D8N. The levers would be for brake, clutch and shifter (sliding gear)

  5. #5D6 Merv2024-08-11 23:59

    Yes D8N which has 3 levers and 2 speeds. Longest lever is brake, has to be released when winching. One lever is Fwd N Rev. 3rd lever is Lo N Hi. So to wind rope in gear lever has to be L or H; and direction lever has to be in fwd. Engage gears with clutch disengaged; then engage master clutch to wind in rope. Line speeds are same underwinding or overwinding on a D8N winch

  6. #6Old Magnet2024-08-12 00:52

    Third lever is a clutch on this model. Sliding gear is forward, neutral and reverse. Marv...Does the clutch control Forward and Reverse?

  7. #7D6 Merv2024-08-12 03:12

    inside lever is sliding dental clutch for fwd, rev. Middle is brake, outer is sliding gear for hi or low speed. Hi speed is 124fpm on a bare drum. Lo is 82 fpm on a bare drum

  8. #8Bmarsha2024-08-12 13:47

    Yes I was

  9. #9Bmarsha2024-08-12 13:49

    That sounds like that could be the problem I will check it out thank you