Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8’s and such

chidog · 2024-09-29 18:24

So I thought I heard that Cat dealers don't even have some of the special tools to work on them any more?

Replies6
  1. #1epirbalex2024-09-30 05:30

    Doubt the younger men would know how to use them .

  2. #2Check Break2024-10-01 10:22

    Most of the tooling for the flat tracks has been lost or tossed. You need your own. Goes for just about everything today. If you want it done right, figure out how to do it yourself.

  3. #3chidog2024-10-01 12:38

    I've heard some dealers won't work on the old stuff is that true?

  4. #4nicky 68a2024-10-04 05:10

    You’re probably on about the final drive pulling gear etc. Doubt they’d be prepared for the hassle of sending out untrained personel on them.

  5. #5Cliffy2024-10-04 05:16

    Or you end up paying for a young fella to learn how to pull one down for the first time. I will admit, 25+ years ago i was that young fella, sent out into the field with a hammer and a shifter and told by the manager you will sink or swim.

  6. #6Mcrafty12024-10-06 06:25

    The thought process today with equipment manufactures is I believe 'it's hard to sell the new equipment in the quantities we need to to survive and thrive if we can keep repairing/ rebuilding the older equipment' which really sucks for a lot of us that operate on a smaller scale. JMHO I welcome yours.