Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu

Jeff downing · 2024-09-29 15:13

After running my dozer for 2 hours, it doesn’t turn as well. Almost to the point of not turning at all. Any suggestions? Komatsu D31-p

Replies8
  1. #1Kyfarm2024-10-01 09:34

    D31P-what? twin lever steering or the single joystick steering like mine has, D31E-20? Were you working in dirt or a bunch of trees and brush? Is the lack of steering the same on both sides or one more than the other? Have you tried to adjust the steering brakes?

  2. #2Jeff downing2024-10-01 09:55

    D31-p-18 Both sides seems to not turn as well after operation of about 2 hours.

  3. #3Jeff downing2024-10-01 09:56

    I have adjusted brakes. Started turning better after that but still has the problem. How far in can I adjust the breaks?

  4. #4Jeff downing2024-10-01 09:57

    Mine has the 2 levers that pull back from dash.

  5. #5Kyfarm2024-10-01 11:12

    seems odd that both sides lose steering together, does it seem like the blade slows down in raising or tilting at the same time?

  6. #6Jeff downing2024-10-01 11:15

    Not that I’ve noticed. The left side does seem to steer better, but it’s that way from the start. How would I know if I have adjusted the breaks to far?

  7. #7Kyfarm2024-10-01 11:28

    If you adjusted the brakes too far it would be excessively grabby right from the start and you'd likely eventually smell burnt brakes pads. I'm far from a trained mechanic just a farmer that does a lot of maintenance and I'm not sure how your twin stick steering system works, meaning does the lever release hydraulic fluid to a small cylinder that actuates the movement to the brakes and clutches or is it just solid linkage between the sticks and the brakes/clutches. Without that info there is nothing else I can offer, so I think I've given all the help I can. If I was you and in this situation, I'd start taking panels off and follow the linkage between the steering sticks and the clutches/ brakes and just visually see if something seems wrong, like leaking, sticks or brush in the way, loose connection etc...... It's amazing what you find when you start taking panels off and cleaning areas out. Good luck and if you find something out please post the results.

  8. #8Jeff downing2024-10-01 11:45

    Thank you.