Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8F 14A conversion to electric Start

akpj ยท 2019-10-28 12:19

Hi All, My pony motor has finally taken a permanent rest. Have been researching converting to electric start and need some specific help. Called a number of places that "make kits" and have gotten different answers form every place I have contacted regarding what is "required" for the conversion. 1. Will the 50MT directly bolt into the three holes on the frame or is an adapter plate required? 2. One place states that while a plate is not "required" it is needed to keep the gear teeth from causing damage to the ring gear?? 3. The 50MT will bolt on but you must change the gear to a different cut or it will again damage the ring gears? 4. Ebay and Amazon have the 50MT for around $452 yet all the "kits" want $1000 for the same thing? What is the extra $500 for?? What is actually "required" to do the conversion? Yes I would prefer the pony motor to work as it pre-heats and pre-oils but parts and cost of rebuild makes that not viable any more. I have already wasted a couple years and twice the cost of a starter trying to keep the pony working. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2019-10-28 23:31

    Acmoc is the place to go for these answers, they know all about this, they probably have lots of threads with every detail you need. If you like the concept of a pony motor, you could adapt a modern engine to drive the pony motor's crankshaft and get the same benefits. I half jokingly suggested a honda, that's what the amish use, and I think somebody posted a pic of just that.

  2. #2Old Magnet2019-10-29 01:46

    The D7,8,9 50MT conversion starters on ebay have the large flange adapter housing that allows them to be direct bolt in. Rest of the requirements are wiring, start and disconnect switch, battery box/mounting and batteries. You may also want to add a 24v generator or get the alternator conversion set up.

  3. #3Old Magnet2019-10-29 12:48

    Forgot to add, if you go for the starter make sure you request unit with right hand helical drive.

  4. #4akpj2019-10-31 22:21

    Thanks guys. That's what I was hoping was the case. That I don't need any fancy kit to get it to work. So as long as the 50MT has right hand helical drive and large flange it will bolt on and I can wire up the rest. Had heard that the amish had used a honda motor to start one put have not been able to find any pictures or info on how to get it to work. Would be nice to still have the pre-heat and oil.

  5. #5Old Magnet2019-10-31 23:02

    You also may want to consider adding glow plugs. Pre-combustion chambers would need to be changed out using ones used on later D8's.

  6. #6epirbalex2019-11-01 17:06

    It will be easier to find another pony motor than convert . Will be cheaper .

  7. #7mark rasmuson2019-11-01 22:41

    I did a 14a cc batt from texas can help you made a batt box held two 8d batt 24 volt and put a 24 volt alt on it