Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

VGT Actuator

Luca ยท 2019-10-26 11:19

Hi Guys, Long time viewer, first time poster here. I have a 2014 JD 850k LGP with 3600 hours.Dozer its throwing a code -Code 641.7 - VGT Actuator Out of Range. Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. I searched online and couldn't really find anything. All help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies7
  1. #1Ronsii2019-10-26 11:30

    I seem to recall several other turbo errors like this posted in the last month or so... I think on similar machines???? somewhere on HEF

  2. #2Luca2019-10-26 13:22

    Thank you. What's HEF?

  3. #3Ronsii2019-10-26 13:45

    HEF is this forum HeavyEquipmentForums I might have a chance to search later for the threads... but I can't really remember what the deal was or what was causing the errors... turbo related or not??? hopefully someone else chimes in with more info.

  4. #4Evening Digger2019-10-26 21:36

    Look over the excavator forum for info about a 250G giving codes

  5. #5partsandservice2019-10-27 00:39

    This code means you likely have a mechanical issue with the turbo. When the key (or touch Pad ) is turned to on, the turbo actuator will attempt to cycle it's full travel and set this code if not with in spec. With engine off you can manually activate the linkage from actuator to turbo, if it does not make full travel, disconnect the linkage from actuator to determine if it is the turbo or the actuator hendering full travel. Also check for wear in the linkage. This turbo is available aftermarket.

  6. #6mg23612019-10-27 05:44

    What PandS ^^^^ said . Also, in the future a serial number would be a help for information. Last 6 digits with the letter that is in front of them will do.

  7. #7Luca2019-10-27 09:14

    Thanks guys. The when i start the machine the linkage moves a couple times. I am not sure if they are making full travel. I will move it by hand tomorrow and see if it moves more when i do it by hand. If i were to remove the linkage how would i be able to tell if its the actuator or the turbo hendering it from full travel? Its weird, because sometimes the code goes away like its reading fine and other times the machine will have loss of power when im pushing loads and the code will come back. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks Again, Luca