Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8H reversable fan tool

Tunneldigger ยท 2017-12-25 21:32

Does anyone know where I can get one or the part number for one?

Replies9
  1. #1Tinkerer2017-12-26 08:16

    To answer your question, I do not know where to get the tool other than Caterpillar dealers. It would be easy to make one. It is just a simple fork. I have rotated a lot of D8 fan blades without any special tool. Usually just by hand. For the stuck or stubborn ones a few taps on the bracket that the blade is held by. Repeated applications of PB Blaster will do wonders. I had a couple that were stuck so badly the fan had to be replaced. Do not pound on the blades ! Run the machine for a short time and check the blades. Once in a while one will not stay latched and will rotate to a neutral position and cause the coolant temperature to rise.

  2. #2kshansen2017-12-26 09:15

    As Tinkerer says it's a simple tool. The end I circled in red is more or less just a piece of key stock with a groove in it that fits over the end of the blade. The other end is the handle that lets you turn the blade after getting it to push in to release the lock. A little tap on the end can help free up the blade but I said a TAP not a two handed hit with a BFH! If you don't know what a BFH is that's a Big ***kin' Hammer! Just for kicks I priced one of these in Parts Store, $95.00! The biggest advantage of this tool over doing it by hand is you don't have to remove any guards to get access to the blades. Look close at the shroud around the radiator and you should see a hole that lines up with the end of the fan blades. Seems like I recall them being about 1 1/2 inch diameter.

  3. #3Metalman 552017-12-26 09:38

    I remember switching a reversible fan on a D8K lots of times just by hand. Back in the day we just cut out enough guard away to get the hands in............wouldn't do that anymore with the labor laws like they are!!

  4. #4kshansen2017-12-26 13:17

    Even using the "official Cat Tool" without a lock out lock on the disconnect switch would get one in trouble!

  5. #5Former Wrench2017-12-26 14:34

    I may still have one that has not been used in years. If so, I will get back with you and figure out how to get it to you. It might be in with my hammers and pry bars. I'll look after I get off work today.

  6. #6farmerlund2017-12-26 16:44

    I use a 3ft piece of old broom handle. The ones that are sticky just put the handle in the hole on right side of machine and tap on the base of blade to push it in. My blades have always turned fairly easy.

  7. #7Metalman 552017-12-26 17:23

    I always found that once free it was better to keep the oil away & you were further ahead, rather than lubing up the moving parts to rotate, as that would attract dirt & make them stick all over again when it came time to reverse them.

  8. #8Former Wrench2017-12-27 12:22

    Tunneldigger: I found my old D8 fan blade turner. If you want it, give me a contact and I will mail it to you. I have not used it in years and never will again.

  9. #9Tunneldigger2017-12-27 21:54

    I sent you a email. Thank you and thank everyone as well. This forum has alot of information on it and I appreciate the help.