Rebuilt all four cylinders, flushed oil and did screens/filters. Book says fill level to sight glass with all attachments lowered…. Did that. Ran the dozer for 10 hours and checked level… full.. went to open fill cap to sound the tank… chock block full, had a little pressure on it. Mind you i did this check the next day and the oil was cold. No previous issue before.. my book does not account for a ripper attachment… should i fill with the ripper up and dozer down?
ripper up would have the most oil it tank
These old D8’s are hardy animals. As long as it covers that pipe in the tank,you’ll be near enough. If you open the cap off,remove the filter and see the pipe,fill it up until you can’t. Hyd oil allways seems to throw you a curved ball on levels.I have a nasty habit ov over filling my old JCB 3CX. As soon as it gets warm,it over flows the cap
Reminds me of another heating of hydraulic oil questions. When the machine is warm but not fully up to temp as i shift from fwd to rvrs and back the tranny is quiet. When I fully warmed up and running strong as I shift ill notice a slight click very similar to what I here in my shuttle shift tractors… thats normal right or should I start looking into level and such… sitting cold every lever is where it should on the dip stick.
D8’s will run you around a merry dance in clunks,bangs,squeals abs whines etc. Most are harmless,some aren’t. Don’t loose sleep. Generally speaking,I’m thinking if your tranny is giving you a good clunk when changing gear,it’s a sign of good pump and piston pressure in your tranny.
I'd be worried if I didn't hear a clunk.