Hi all, I'm about to do the final drives on my D8k and my question is.... Can I just undo the track frame with it still on the equilizer bar and jack it up with the rippers high enough to clear sprocket.:beatsme
Yea mate once the track is rolled off and ur happy with the position u can use the rippers to jack up if ur warred about clearance slide the stand into an opportune position and use some bed logs to add height. However if u haven't done finals b4 I highly recommend u get some one who has to help u make sure u got all the right tools and try n have parts b4 u start. Those sprocket and dog gear desings can b a real bitch, and remember everything is heavy allow twice the time u think u need. Enjoy.
I would recomend you do them without the messing about trying to make things even harder, remove the blade and pull out the frames, the E/Bar lugs do add to the drama on a K series tractor but a few moments soon sorts this small detail, I have done D8 finals without stripping the blade using the ripper and the blade to lift the tractor up and found it to be total Pants, you end up with the sprocket up at a crazy hight plus a load of struggling afterwards to get things back into position, I can do a F/Drive faster by pulling the frame/s plus its easier and safer, you might want to take a look at the Shop Talk listing as I have posted a few snaps of a few back case jobs I have done, dont forget the oil pump is on the inside face of the main case, plus if the gears are damaged or bearings stuffed, (the outer bearing is always scrap) the dead shaft should be pulled out to clean all the metal bits out of the oil labrinth, always use a welder to shink out the bearings from their location, dont be tempted to cut them with a torch???, or use the correct bearing pullers (after the dowel pins are removed) to press up the sprocket to the hub you pull the hub through the sprocket on the hub thread, the hard bit is to press on the outer bearings its not a job for bluffers you need to know your game else you will do your $$$$. work safe tctractors
Thanks for the replies fellars, I think I'll do as Tc says and remove frame. Bloke from HASTINGS will come and do the pressing on and off. Bill
8K bill, another tip is to leave off the end cap (the shimmed plate) and motor the F/Drive (oil filled) to see oil pump out of the dead shaft, then set the bearing pre-load (Ring seal removed) with things rotated, I often find that Fitters have pressed the sprocket onto the hub using the dead-shaft to press off?? its easy to spot as the script off the D/Shaft bolts is imprinted into the back of the hub. tctractors
Gotcha TC thanks mate. Bill.
Hey Tc u mentioned a few things I had forgotten about bill listen to this bloke enough said