I just bought a 1979 D8k with a cab and ripper. Its my second D8k. The first one I bought came from Oregon up in logging country. It has a Medford OROPS and sweeps that were probably installed when the machine was new. It also has a heavy one piece radiator guard installed that is not factory as far as I can tell. The guard is hinged and is about 3/4 of an inch thick. Anyone have any ideas of where I can find another heavy duty radiator guard. The CAT original guard is about 1/4 inch thick and I find it to be a little flimsy. Also I am looking for a rear belly pan for that tractor. I haven't had any luck finding anyone who is making this stuff after-market. I have searched the local tractor yards and haven't had much luck. Any help is appreciated. The new machine serial number is 77v13000.
Call 1 800 252 5804 and ask for Loren.
Do you think they will have it? I tried calling several times and just got put on hold? Does anyone know of anybody making them aftermarket?
My 77v Parts Book shows a heavy duty radiator guard (grill) Part #8P8025 (plate assy.) Machinery Trader shows one (maybe) but it's in Ontario, Canada.
I would imagine any welding shop could build you,, especially if you already have one for a design.
We used to just weld some one and a half by three eighth inch bar stock on the front. The bars would overlap a little onto the hard nose so if something tried to punch through they would fend it off.
The problem with welding on stuff on the radiator guard is that it could restrict the air flow out of the machine. Out here in California it gets past 100 degrees out and the machine wants to run hot. It seems to be a problem with everyone who has a D8k out here. I have tried everything to make it run cooler to no avail. If we let the machine rest for ten minutes then it will cool back down. The fan is a push style and I have a trash radiator that is pretty new. Some guys even take off the radiator guard when they are deep ripping to help it run cooler. I have been able to find a regular guard at a junkyard out here but those are pretty flimsy. I was hoping that one of the guys from up north would have a line on a heavy duty guard. I know up in logging country they were pretty popular. Old Magnet thanks for the help. The part number you gave goes to a D6d not a D8k. The part number I am showing for the heavy duty guard is 6P2790.
Sorry about that....had both books out, went to eat, came back and grabed the wrong one. I see the 6P2790 listed as available but no detail. I fabricated one once, what a chore, had to lay out and drill all the holes, won't do that again LOL. Got to be one out there somewhere.