Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8k transmission problems

Mccahilldozing ยท 2012-10-05 02:46

I'm having problems with my power shift transmission on my D8K. I put it into first gear and it won't go into gear. I put it into second gear forward and it goes into first gear. It does the exact same thing for reverse. We started to pull the transmission due to excessive leaking from the rear o-ring and found it was loose and torquing from side to side. Has anyone else experienced this? This is the first time I've had the transmission out of the tractor since I've owned it. All screens are clean. And I run 30wt TO-4 in that compartment.

Replies3
  1. #1Bob/Ont2012-10-05 08:00

    You need to make sure the mounting surfaces are good, not scuffed up from loose hardware. Then the dowels will need replacing aswell as their holes resized. A good smooth surface and tight fitting dowels are needed to keep mounting tight. That is a nasty thing to happen and have never seen it in 40 yrs, shows you what not tightening up hardware can do. When you have the trans out you can adjust the valve spools. You need to shift the trans and adjust spool ends to line up with machined surfaces. I could figure it out if I was there but we will need someone with a manual to post you a pic. At this time it would be good to rebush and replace the two shifter shafts if they need it. Later Bob

  2. #2Check Break2012-10-10 00:09

    Did you get your transmission pulled. Are the studs in the bevel gear case loose or did you catch the problem before they started walking in the hole.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2012-10-12 13:30

    Many years ago, the first company I worked for in CA had a D-8K with the same problem. If the dowel holes are not properly fixed, and the mounting surfaces faced so they fit up right, you will have problems forever. The machine I recall had the trans out 4 or 5 times in about a 6 month span due to it coming loose like you describe. It also did some damage to the bevel gear from running loose like that.