Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8k undercarriage

Heppner ยท 2016-09-10 12:21

Hi. I'm replacing undercarriage on my d8k. I'm going to wider pads as I only do dirt work with it. I want as wide a pad as possible. I can fit 30" pads but will only have 1 inch of clearance between inside of pads and tractor frame. Does anyone have experience with this. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Replies43
  1. #1lantraxco2016-09-10 12:45

    Personally I wouldn't go with anything over 26" on an 8K, but as always YMMV.

  2. #2Scrub Puller2016-09-10 15:00

    Yair . . . I sure wouldn't like to run with such tight clearance, do you need the wider plates for flotation? While the wider plates give a theoretically lighter foot print (from my experience in the real world) six inches extra on width makes little discernible difference to where the tractor will go but makes a helluva difference to what it costs in undercarriage . . . in "normal" clay/soil production dozing we found little difference and I believe the narrower plates will push more given equal height grousers. Its a strange coincidence that I have recently been watching a D6r with wide plates pushing out a dam and it was bloody useless. I commented to the tractor owner that he needed a set of decent tracks and he got very defensive and reckoned the machine was doing fine . . . beats me. Cheers.

  3. #3Nige2016-09-10 16:53

    Unless flotation is a problem, in other words the tractor's constantly sinking, then you should really be using the narrowest width of track shoe you get away with not the widest. Unless there is some reason I'm not aware of ("only doing dirt work" isn't a good enough reason BTW) then to be honest I wouldn't go any wider than 24" shoes if it was mine. Wide shoes cause all sorts of issues that believe me you don't want to get into unless you absolutely have to. To give you an idea I'm currently working with a fleet of D10Ts equipped with abrasion blades and SS rippers on soft ground and if they don't sink on 24" shoes then your 8K is not likely to.

  4. #4Huntoon2016-09-10 20:21

    I agree with Nige... Track Shoes act as a lever to twist the chain on any uneven ground which cause walking and wear. Using wider shoes then necessary is like using a cheater bar accelerating the process.

  5. #5John C.2016-09-10 21:00

    I have had 30" pads on a D8H in a coal mine grading spoil piles and doing reclamation. The pushes were fairly light and the wider pad left a different kind of print on the ground that didn't erode so fast with the little bit of rain the Pacific Northwest is known for. The machine was used first on the spoil piles doing smooth out work so trees and grass could be planted. Later on it was used to push reclaim back in the pit. The comments above are correct. The wider pads do cause all the troubles and cost more in the long run. However our machine was doing a job that could not be accomplished with a narrow track machine without parking a winch tractor on top of the hill.

  6. #6Heppner2016-09-11 01:56

    The reason for the wide pads is flotation. I am located in south west British Columbia where it rains 8 months a year.

  7. #7brianscathouse2016-09-11 02:41

    How bad is your old stuff and do you want to sell it? Located in Kootenays and have an old d8h.

  8. #8Nige2016-09-11 04:24

    I'm in a place where it rains 12 months a year of tropical downpours (about 3000MM of rain per year) and we still get away with 24" shoes on machines that are probably double the weight of your 8K. What size of shoe do you have installed right now and in the conditions you work in have you ever had the machine bogged..?

  9. #9Scrub Puller2016-09-11 05:42

    Yair . . . . As I mentioned up thread this wide plates for flotation notion (in my experience) is just a state of mind. If you have plates wide enough to make a difference like those pyramid plates on the little Komatsus the bastards sure can traverse some marginal country but are not capable of doing much in the way of pushing when they get there anyway . . . one moments inattention and spin a track and they can go out of sight . . . literally. I have spent too many freeking nights up to my neck in mangrove mud dragging inch and a quarter winch line out to useless so called "swampys" to have any faith in the wide plate concept. If its marginal with standard plates three inches extra on either side of centre isn't going to save your azz. I can see the wide plates being an advantage as pointed out on another thread by a poster who was pulling in tile. In his application in soft cultivated fields with soft spots I can imagine they'd be useful but, I imagine grouser height in those conditions would be critical as well. I see tractors with wide plates working in general contracting and I'm just amazed at the lack of knowledge and ignorance displayed. Most of the high track Sixes I see are running plate widths we used to run on Eights and Nines . . . just what are these blokes thinking. Cheers.

  10. #10Hanco2016-09-11 10:18

    On my D8H somebody widened the pads from 22 to 32" also welded on grouser bars , its used for farm drainage , better floation and less compaction which is also important. Most of the work it does is on flat farm fields you dont back over windrows or piles alot but sometimes you have to . The wider the pads in this work the better imho. But the other guys right , the narrower your pads the better and longer your undercarriage will last Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11Heppner2016-09-11 11:16

    I have 24" on my 8k and 26 on my 8h. He's I have had them both stuck. A guy up the road from me has a d9g with 30" pads. He floats I sink. Yes I will sell my old stuff. Send me a pm. Thanks

  12. #12fiat41b2016-09-12 22:32

    The 30" 583k pads they have the corners angled for better steer and penetration of 28" I have a 8k pulling a scraper everyone ask why I want those wide pads floatation I say If my twin engine scrapers would have held up better in the soft ground I would not be using a crawler and pan

  13. #13Faisal Afridi2017-09-30 06:41

    Hi, I am a newbie at the Heavy Equipment Forums. The forums have been very informative and helpful. I am going to buy a D8K and going to overhaul it. the overhaul would depend on the machine's condition. I need help about engine, transmission, final drives and undercarriage. I know that FP Diesel have the best replacement parts for engines, but are there any cheaper Chinese companies which i can go for that have the same durability? Also cheaper companies for transmission and final drives. As Berco has best undercarriage, i have once used dry link assy and plates on one of my D8K and know they are very durable. But what about ITR and ITM?, or if any other is better then these two? And last but not least, What to look for when buying a D8K? If there any forums that have already discussed these topics, please guide me to them. The search on this website is quite tricky. Thank you.

  14. #14DMiller2017-09-30 10:18

    Cheap does not really relate to durable and Chinese manufacture has its serious drawbacks as to what is delivered and how long lasts USA/North America. As to Dry pins almost nothing here has dry pins any longer, SALT or Sealed And Lubricated Track has an excellent lifespan as well considerable benefits over dry the first and foremost is lack of pin to bushing wear followed by loss of noise. The only recommend I can make from here is to scout out the suppliers, look for references of locals as to dependable or lack there of, look at machines in service as to hours worked with replacement parts with any or all detracting aspects from the operators and owners.

  15. #15Faisal Afridi2017-10-05 17:17

    ok, which parts do you recommend?

  16. #16DMiller2017-10-05 17:42

    ITR has decent reputation, would stay with SALT rails. Berco is a bit expensive but does last. I would see what your suppliers have and their recommends.

  17. #17Faisal Afridi2017-10-06 05:04

    Berco, ITR and ITM are available in the market at the mo. do you know about ITM? As Berco is expensive, i'll go for either ITR or ITM SALT, and for rollers I'll buy used cat rollers, by used I mean that almost new are available in the used market. or should I go for new rollers as well?

  18. #18DMiller2017-10-06 07:27

    Wear on rollers is primary concern, these are bushed so smooth rolling, limited play and should be OK.

  19. #19nicky 68a2017-10-07 10:07

    I run 24" pads on 10 D8 tractors. I once had 22" on one D8,and it would not quite go as far into the bad ground as the 24" D8's. A few operators in my country also use 26" pads on their 8K's. My worry doesn't just stop at the extra wear on the running gear,it concerns me that it would put extra strain on tranny and finals.

  20. #20Bls repair2017-10-08 12:25

    With little clearance between track pad and frame you will get a lot of stuff stuck in between

  21. #21Faisal Afridi2017-10-25 05:36

    Found a cat d8k idle wheel.. How to know if it is really cat idle wheel?

  22. #22stars&bars442017-11-02 21:18

    Do you have a ripper on the dozer? I had an 8H with a big heavy multishank ripper, I ran 24 inch pads with clipped corners. We did pretty good with it in soft under foot, but you have to pick how far you want to go. We pushed pans, pushed dirt, and did clearing with it. I dont think the wide pads will help you enough to justify the cost of the trouble you may have down the road. I know tall grousers are rough on finals, do wide pads do that as well?

  23. #23stars&bars442017-11-02 21:19

    Someone could have swapped the blocks on outside from Cat and have a cheap idler in between them.

  24. #24Faisal Afridi2017-11-08 19:43

    Hi guys, What is the major difference between 8H and 8K. Got no answers from the net.

  25. #25stars&bars442017-11-08 21:08

    About 20,000$

  26. #26Faisal Afridi2017-11-08 21:41
  27. #27John C.2017-11-08 22:26

    Early 8K model used the same engine block with seal bores in the heads and counterbores in the block for the liners. Later machine had the plated engine block and the flat heads.

  28. #28nicky 68a2017-11-19 09:53

    Faisal. Both D8H and D8K powershift tractors are excellent machines. Either series will suit your application just as well. 24" pads are a good allround track pad. I have just purchased a new set of 22" pads for a D8R from Cat for future use. That tractor spends its life in a quarry,so I'm happy tp use 22" pads on it

  29. #29Faisal Afridi2018-01-23 06:02

    Hi guys, I bought a Cat D8K, and it just arrived at Karachi port. The old undercarriage was all Cat. Chains and plates were bit down, so I bought new chains and plates for it. The brand is DSL. It is a Chinese company with operations throughout South America, with sales of construction machinery and mining and also undercarriage parts. What do you think? The ripper it had with it was locally manufactured so I arranged another orignal Cat ripper, But I kept the the ripper valve that came with it. It is the one that is placed behind the ripper. The valve is from a D8H. Can the D8H valve be used with a D8K ripper or should I buy the D8K one?

  30. #30Faisal Afridi2018-01-23 06:04
  31. #31Faisal Afridi2018-01-23 06:12
  32. #32balls2go2018-01-23 09:16

    Aren't those new shoes installed backwards?

  33. #33Faisal Afridi2018-01-23 09:28

    Yup, it seems so, going to fix it when its on ground

  34. #34Faisal Afridi2018-01-23 09:39

    I think the complete chain is installed backwords....

  35. #35John C.2018-01-23 12:14

    The chains are installed backwards. Looks like a good machine from the photos.

  36. #36Old Magnet2018-01-23 13:30

    Cat 8D model rippers are interchangeable with the D8H and K so the rear mounted control valve works on both. What was the reason for changing from the local manufactured ripper?

  37. #37Faisal Afridi2018-01-23 13:48

    Local made ripper has no value here, and it is extra useless weight which would have cost me more freight cost and custom duty...

  38. #38Welder Dave2018-01-24 01:01

    That's sure an unusual way of tying it down for shipping.

  39. #39Faisal Afridi2018-01-24 01:28

    It was the first time for me and my shipping agent. It could have been worse, but I think he did a good job.

  40. #40Faisal Afridi2018-02-20 03:07

    Hi guys! I saw one D8K machine in China, which had its serial number engraved on a plate welded on the right side above the sprokets. The serial no was 66V. Isn't it supposed to be near the left ripper mount and beneath the stearing in the cabin, or is it different for the 77V series?

  41. #41stars&bars442018-02-20 20:46

    77V should be on the firewall (control tower) below steering levers on your right sitting in the seat.

  42. #42Faisal Afridi2019-04-07 11:17

    Hi, finally ready for work

  43. #43Faisal Afridi2019-04-07 11:19

    some more pics