Looking to buy a D5G LGP. Ran one today, looks and runs great, 4600 hrs showing. After letting it warm up, turned off park brake, put in low gear, forward and it doesnt move at idle. With the throttle above half it tracked right off. Is this normal? Worked like a champ pushing dirt, just seemed to need more throttle than i was thinking to get it to move. Thnks in advance.
It might have to be above a certain RPM to drive so it's not hard on the hydrostatic transmission. Hydrostats are best run at full throttle or close to it.
We are looking at the same dozer but an xl model and it does the same thing. I think Dave is right about the hydrostatic motors. I also read that some guys had to re-flash the computer by Cat and don't know how much that cost. I want to jump someone's post but since you are looking to buy something similar, the one we are looking at has a problem shutting down. It will not shut down with the key. The throttle has been adjusted to shut down the motor and I don't know if this is hard on the injection pump. The three wires in back of the key switch have been tested and seem normal operation to what I am used to and can't find any frayed or cut lines. Everything is in the abrasion resistant loom. There is one wire that goes toward the fuel system on the engine and we tried bypassing but blew the key fuse twice so guessing the wire is a ground. Any suggestions are appreciated.