Hi I have to replace my 8Ds and I was wanting to put 4- 31s in it to be able to handle the batteries easier, but I don’t think there’s enough room, but I should be able to do 4 6 volts, has anyone tryed that Thanks Bruce
Just get a buddy to help you. 8Ds are the ticket for reliable starting. For sure don't go to 6 V.
Agreed. Big batteries are best for starting diesels, especially in cold regions and it sounds like you quite the colder region. The only option I could even recommend is going four of 12v regular pickup batts. Something group 65 like my ford 1-ton diesel uses which are easier to lift but still have decent cranking amps. 65's are slightly shorter and smaller than 31's but it sounds like even 65's won't fit. Either way you need cold cranking amps (CCA) to turn the starter and you need reserve (size of the battery) for how long you actually crank to start. In the cold, you probably need lots of both. Stay away from the 6v's as I don't think any of them are built to provide the CCA's you need. This may the time you get a service truck to drop in good batts and take the old ones away. And I'm assuming you already did a thorough check on your current 8D's to verify they are bad. Lots of good batts have been tossed when it was really a bad cable, loose lug, low electrolyte, etc....
I’ve done a load test and the ones at 7 the others at 11. I’ll double check them for water, but I think they were UFA Farm batteries we used so I’ll probably change them both. They get more abused by just sitting unused than working. I can use a front end loader and chain hoist to get them switched out. Gone are the days I could lift them easily
If you can't fit 4- 31's in, and don't want to go back with 8D, then I'd try it with two 31's. I bet it starts fine above 40, and if you really have to start it cold, bring the batteries inside overnight, and warm up the engine before starting. You can get 900 or 1,000CCA group 31's, that I usually wouldn't suggest over 700 or 750CCA version, but for this case they'll be very similar to the 8D, just less reserve capacity, so they won't crank quite as long. If you really need to be able to start it without preparation, figure out a way to use 4.
The problem with getting the most cranking amps out of a specific size of battery is that the higher the cranking amps, the thinner the plates and closer spacing of the plates. This causes the battery to be more susceptible to damage while also shortening the battery life. An 8D is a big heavy duty battery. I don't think anything else other than a smaller 4D compares to them as far as heavy duty. The more batteries and connections you have the greater the chance for corrosion and other issues. I've had reconditioned 8D's last 10 and 7 years. Getting a helper to install them every 7 to 10 years isn't a big deal. I've used a come-a-long on the grab handle on the ROPS to replace the 8D in my 931B. An engine crane could also work.
Come-a-long on grab handle did the trick. Got my 8Ds in
Sorry I actually used a small chain hoist, I could control up and down easier
This D8N needs batteries,but it’s going nowhere for now.