Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8N final drive removal

Race5118 · 2021-03-31 12:12

I need to replace the left hand final drive on my D8N 9tc machine. Just wondering if I need to follow the manual or can I just pull the cover off the case pull the driveshaft out and pull the final off. Is it necessary to pull the steering motor off? Do I need the special cat tool to pull the axle out? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies29
  1. #1Nige2021-03-31 12:40

    I guess the answer to that question depends on exactly what the problem is, and also are you going to repair the existing final drive or install a replacement and what will the replacement consist of.? If you have welding facilites I can help you with a drawing of the FT1952 axle removal tool, it's not a complex thing to make. You really need something that will screw on to the thread on the end of the axle to help you yank it out. Also the length of the tool helps with balance during the installation of the axle.

  2. #2Race51182021-03-31 12:54

    I have a new final to replace it, and will rebuild the old one to have on hand. I could build the tool a drawing would be wonderful.

  3. #3Dave Neubert2021-03-31 13:47

    You don't really need the tool to pull the outer axle you can just screw a 5/8 bolt in the end so you can grab it. there is a lifting frame that you can make to lift the final it is C shaped and allows you to remove and install the final with ease wit a crane or something to lift with Nige can post a picture of it. or a fork lift will work too as you need to have a way to lift from under the fender

  4. #4Nige2021-03-31 14:28

    Dave, Aren’t those axles the ones with the (IIRC) 1-5/8” external thread right at the end.? That’s what the tool screws on to. If you don’t have the lifting bracket or something like it the other options are a forklift under the FD (but you need to strap it to the forks) or remove the fender so that you can get a straight shot at it from above with some sort of lifting device. I’ll find some photos of the lifting bracket and post them.

  5. #5Dave Neubert2021-03-31 14:42

    I don't know I have never been in a 8 just going by 6s and 7s

  6. #6Nige2021-03-31 14:45

    I need to confirm but the same FT1952 tool that is called out on the R&I procedure for the OP’s D8N is also used on D9, 10, & 11s and screws on to an external thread on the end of the axle shaft.

  7. #7Nige2021-03-31 16:07

    My bad. The FT-1952 is the one with the male 5/8" thread on the end of it, so Dave's idea of a 5/8" bolt will work. I sent the OP the drawing anyway. The tool for D9 & Up is 5P-7395. That's the one that screws on to the 2"-12 TPI external thread on the end of the axle.

  8. #8Race51182021-04-01 00:25

    I see what the lifting bracket looks like in the manual I can make one of them pretty easily, I'll build the removal tool as well. I really appreciate it.

  9. #9Nige2021-04-01 11:08

    One thing you need to bear in mind is that the factory lifting bracket is adjustable. The lifting points can be moved so that whatever weight is hung from the end of it the bracket hangs dead true in a vertical sense. This is important because there is limited space to work when removing/installing a FD because of the fender being right above it. So here's a suggestion when you come to building a lfting bracket. Use the final drive that you are going to install as a dead weight and move the upper/lower lifting points in/out so that it hangs true. Then you can pretty well guarantee that the final drive you are removing will hang the same way on the lfting bracket when you pull it out. It will save you a lot of cursing when you go to install the replacement FD. Here are photos of the lifting bracket being used on a D10 so that you can appreciate just how close to the fender it gets.

  10. #10absoluteyukon2021-04-03 10:16

    If you have access to a forklift you can forego the lifting bracket all together. I put the forks at 5 and 7 o'clock on the sprocket segments and in far enough to support the inboard of the final drive with 6x6 that spans the forks. Get a 3/4t comealong around the whole thing and cinch it tight so the forks cant spread apart and you're good to go. Installing with a forklift takes a little patience but is completely achievable. A second set of eyes and sidesift on the fork truck helps. Another quick word of wisdom, let the machine coast to a stop on level ground in N before you disable it. If there is drivetrain tension on those axles they are much more difficult to remove.

  11. #11Nige2021-04-03 10:30

    Most definitely. If the axle shafts have any weight on them between the undercarriage and the final drive you’ll never get them out.

  12. #12nicky 68a2021-04-03 13:36

    Good post.

  13. #13tctractors2021-04-03 15:42

    On Diff Steer Tractors you will have to up your game to pull the complete unit from the Case, the outer and inner shaft can both be pulled out from the left side plus the steer motor and mount will need to be removed, then with all the bolts removed that hold the F/Drive to the case and the F/drive pulled about 30mm away from the case you need to rotate the the inner hub down towards the engine (anti clock about 60 deg' to allow clearance to pull the housing clear, the R/Hand F/Drive is easy to pull off with none of this extra work, to tackle the left side with a fork lift is going to be some game plus it's going to be an even bigger game to refit, make a lifting beam out of some old junk and you might be glad of your effort, they are heavy and difficult to handle on your own, to just remove the outer planetary is easy and can be done with a F/lift or a mini digger in a few moments. tctractors

  14. #14Race51182021-06-24 03:20

    Got it changed it was alot easier than I thought it was going to be. I made an adjustable lifting bracket worked that worked pretty good. Looks like all the extra stuff the manual says to take off is if your pulling all the internals as well.

  15. #15Nige2021-06-24 11:35

    No photos.?

  16. #16chidog2021-06-24 15:43

    So does it just pull out leaving that steer motor in? I've done the smaller ones like D4 and if I remember it just pulled off. Its been too many years.

  17. #17Chrisso2021-10-18 05:41

    Man did I need this info today. Thanks Nige

  18. #18Nige2021-10-18 07:11

    I assume getting hold of the drawing for the FT-1952 wasn't a problem for you.?

  19. #19md182024-10-16 07:19

    Nige, any chance you could send me that sketch? I need to pull a D6R transmission this week and that tool would really help

  20. #20Nige2024-10-16 07:27

    Can you confirm you are referring to the axle removal tool.?

  21. #21YukonHillbilly2024-11-25 12:52

    if it isn't too much hassle, could i also get that sketch for the FT1952 tool? i have to pull both drives on my bosses D7H, and even though the service manuals are great, they just tell you the specialty tools needed but not much of an image of what they look like. and getting my hands on the actual tools isn't much of an option.

  22. #22Nige2024-11-25 13:34

    Check your message inbox.

  23. #23cj7jeep812025-06-20 11:36

    Any chance I could get a copy of the drawing for the FT1952 as well? Trying to help a neighbor make one for a d8 he's working on. Thanks!

  24. #24Nige2025-06-20 12:03

    Check your messages.

  25. #25cj7jeep812025-06-20 12:09

    Thanks! So basically something like this? Reading engineering drawings isn't my strong suit, but was able to find a picture on another site of just the end.

  26. #26Nige2025-06-20 12:15

    Pretty much. The thread on the end is 5/8" x 11 TPI.

  27. #27MARI02025-11-01 19:25

    Hello Nige. Could I get this drawing as well?

  28. #28Nige2025-11-02 04:56

    Check your message inbox.

  29. #29tctractors2025-11-02 15:09

    Just weld a bolt to a length of steel bar it's nothing fancy.