Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

d8n getting hot

burns ยท 2018-02-20 08:24

recently got a d8n and it had a failed forward clutch pack lost drive and had friction material every where. transmission got replaced , hoses flushed , new pump, cleaned out transmission cooler, have had the machine back to work and I think it might be getting a little too hot . t/c has been checked for internal leakage, stall test right also inle tand outlet pressure. today it was a 31 degree celcius day, I was pushing levy banks up so loaded all day. the transmission temp got up to 115 degrees celcius at the same time the engine was at 95. I put a temp gun on where the sensor is at the t/c and it seems within a couple of degrees, transmission cooler and radiator seem to be cooling there 10 degrees celcius difference, radiator was blown out again, but just seems to sneak up to that temp, im just wondering is that a normal conditions or should I be diving in a little deeper, I would hate to damage my new transmission regards

Replies8
  1. #1catman132018-02-20 21:34

    sounds a little hot. have you taken and pressure washed out the radiator and oil cooler good. check you fan belts for tension.

  2. #2CavinJim2018-02-20 22:45

    For reference, 31 C is about 88 F, 115 C is about 239 F, and 95 C is 203 F. It seems to me that those temps aren't all that bad. With the proper coolant mix and under pressure, 95 C is fine. Maybe a tad high, but nothing I'd really worry about. 115 C for tranny oil? I wouldn't be worried to see that on my truck towing a trailer. At what temp do oils start to break down and lose lubrication? It's a lot hotter than 115 C.

  3. #3burns2018-02-21 05:16

    i have replaced belts and it has has new pulleys and tensioner aswell, i dont know weather to pull radiator out, big job and get it properly cleaned or replace cores, thought i would just ask for a little advice before diving in as i have spent enough money regards

  4. #4Vetech632018-02-23 07:58

    You need to verify your trans fluid is hot. Used an external type of temp check ( heat gun, thermometer in top of the radiator) and compare the temps. It could be a faulty sender also.

  5. #5burns2018-02-25 03:41

    have checked temp with raytek gun temp is correct at sensor t/c outlet,by the time it goes threw the cooler and comes to the rear housing it has cooled nearly20 degrees celcius, radiator is very fine in cores maybe even though its dropping 10 degrees it might be faulty or trans cooler any ideas would be appreciated

  6. #6Nige2018-02-25 04:03

    In your OP you stated that the cooler was "cleaned out" after the transmission clutch failure. Personally I think you would have been better to replace it, I've never heard of attempts to clean coolers being particularly successful. If the cooler is even just a tad restricted that could be the straw that breaks the camel's back as regards keeping the power train oil temperature where it should be.

  7. #7Cmark2018-02-25 04:32

    Is it a folded core radiator?

  8. #8burns2018-02-25 13:03

    it is a folded radiator s/n 9tc01550