Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8R 12 volt power tap ?

walkerv ยท 2016-09-21 10:27

ser 6yz, do these machines have a 12 volt power tap hidden somewhere like my newr machines have

Replies8
  1. #1fast_st2016-09-21 11:33

    I'd almost think there'd be one on the console someplace with so much stuff being 12V what choo need to power?

  2. #2walkerv2016-09-21 13:00

    CB radio so land fill guys can talk to the incoming truck drivers and each other when someone isn't paying attention

  3. #3Desertwheeler2016-09-21 13:43

    Look behind the seat on right side of the machine. It might have a 12volt plug mounted there. Our 9n did and so did a couple 10r's. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4walkerv2016-09-21 14:16

    I will check it out when I manage to escape the shop thanks

  5. #5gcdoty2016-09-21 14:21

    Hello, I'm in the two-way radio business and installing radios in heavy equipment is something that I know a little about. Most newer CAT equipment has a 24 to 12 volt converter in them some where. If there is a AM-FM radio in the headliner there is the first place to look. I have found 12 volts on the wires in the headliner behind the drivers head. Take out the speaker grills and look around, the last grader had wires that were pink in color. You need to consider the amps that your radios is going to draw when transmitting. A CB radio draws maybe 5 amps at 12 volts and some of the converters that is all that they can do before they get toasted. A FM business band radio may draw 15 amps transmitting. On new equipment, I have called the CAT dealer with the SN# and they can look it up. On older 24 volt systems we install a converter https://www.amazon.com/ServiceMate-SM2412-10-DC-DC-Converter-converts/dp/B004XCGBOU When you turn off a piece of CAT equipment the big switch raises ground from the chassis, so be mindful that you could put reverse voltage on the radio, releasing the smoke that all electronics use for lubrication.

  6. #6lantraxco2016-09-21 14:40

    Because building in a reverse polarity diode in a radio would have cost seven cents, so they leave the smoke unguarded to escape easily...

  7. #7walkerv2016-09-21 16:36

    Lol I can't get a radio to last long enough to get the smoke out I replace 2-3 every year looking at uniden 510 ? I think that is the model. Recommended for jeeps and heavy equipment from a CB website that didn't seem biased on any one brand .they listed best uses for each popular model. So far best longevity has been cobra classics but they are kinda big for interior of a dozer

  8. #8gcdoty2016-09-21 20:02

    We have used Uniden Pro 538 in the past. The speaker in the front of the radio works well mounting the radio in the console in a police car. This model maybe discontinued. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004VXNY This is where we buy some of our install supplies and equipment. They have a good site to shop for ideas. You have to have an account to see wholesale prices. http://www.s-f-d.com/main.html The 24 to 12 volt converter in my post above works well. It floats the ground so the the antenna and radio chassis won't fight with the CAT's batteries.