It is extremely difficult to get good help now days. http://www.postbulletin.com/news/cr...cle_c9dba1ee-e39d-5d00-9d80-3166aadee520.html
Admitted to drinking before reporting to work, picked up at 2am drunk...... Maybe they need to check that Cat for an ice chest.....:beerchug If he really did just drink before work I'd like to know how many hours of hammered drunk dozing he got in without anyone noticing.
He was in Mississippi, why would anyone notice? (Just kidding, put the rifle down now..)
Hey, wait a second dare, he was in THE Mississippi, which in this case is between Wisconsin and Minnesota. To his credit, that's a tricky job sober. I wonder if the sand collapsed, or if he got too low, or if it was really a stupid mistake.
I like how the newspaper spelled it "Caterpiller". I guess they don't have spellcheck? Outsourcing their editing to foreign countries?
This can't be right, if it is, what's that "all the way forward" position on the blade control for?
Thats the light speed setting....duh
How the hell does some Bozo who is half full of soup sign on at a work-site and No-one sees he is Blotto ? Unbeliavable,the Contractor needs his marching orders. This could have just as easily ended in a post under Safety Issues,another worker dies while operating. D-Head.
"F" for fine grade, "R" for rough in?
Anyone who sees a funny side to this thread is a Wanker, Machinery operation can , and usually ends in tears when an operator ****s up when he is affected by Illiccit drugs or Alcohol,Operators call, Someones possible death.Thats got to be funny 2 ?
It happened near Rochester in southeast MN. The contractor is a larger dirt operations outfit from Ames, Iowa. They have a good reputation. No mention of where the newly hired operator was from. Unfortunately we see more and more travelers on the jobs that are traveling because they can't pass the drug tests in their home local. Often they slip through the random drug testing that the unions/contractors sponsor because they are not a member of the jurisdictional local. There is a big labor shortage in Minnesota this year so I'm sure we will get more showing up.
Thanks for that Garrie. I don't think the many professional owners, operators and mechanics on here, (some, like myself, of several decades experience,) either a/ needed that observation to be rammed down their throats or b/ need your approval whether to laugh or not. Now lighten up.
I for one have never claimed to be a professional anything but I bet it's not that hard to get a dozer stuck in sand underwater. Garrie, here's a view of the island (or one just like it) that he was operating on. https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...2!3m1!1s0x87f9506d393631c5:0xc7ae438777d4f0ec And here's another article with no information but a familiar looking mugshot http://lacrossetribune.com/news/loc...cle_8d700d84-10ff-5b21-9cf9-5e34fffece94.html
Sorry, gotta agree. It really isn't that funny when he could have drowned. Had he been working elsewhere someone else could be dead. About 15 years ago one of my BIL's was driving school bus. I stopped by the bus barn one afternoon just before school let out to visit (I knew most of the drivers). All the drivers were in there laughing it up. About a half hour before a local drunk left a bar, drove about a block and made the right hand turn to go home. The problem was he turned into a parked car about 1/2 a block early, in day light on a nice spring day. When I pointed out to the drivers that had the guy waited an hour that could have been their bus, loaded with kids that he hit. And maybe out of town at much higher speeds. Had this guy been working on the side of a highway it could well have been him backing out on the road in front of a car with your family in it. Real funny now that you think about it, isn't it? You and yours, smashed into the side of a D8, or maybe under a D8? Want to know what a driver looks like who smashes into the side of a 70 ton tracked vehicle? At Ft Bliss a guy driving to White Sands blew by a road guard and pickup with a warning light anddd smashed into the side of an M88 tank retriever while driving a VW Rabbit. Some civilian guy who worked out there with a PHD in aerospace engineering. The road guard said he was driving and reading a news paper when he went past the guard. It was my tank that was being towed in for a blown engine. Wasn't very pretty. Rick
As the person who made the first joke, I have decided to break my own rule against stirring the pot. To start with, the joke I made, and the ones that answered it, had nothing to do with operating drunk. They concerned the headline of the thread. As to our comments encouraging dui, or oui, I would not have made a joke if I thought it could in anyway encourage someone to operate drunk, but...... it won't. As someone who spent 21 years as a Paramedic/ Fire Captain, I would say I have seen more of the effects of drunkeness than nearly anyone on here. If I were to be made king, a first offense DUI would carry the same penalty as Attempted Murder, because it is depraved indifference to what you do to someone else's life. If this man had drowned, I would feel sorry for his family first, and for his employer for all the hassle this would cause, but not for too long; because they would probably all be better off without him in the long run. Ok, I'm through with the soapbox now, somebody else can use it. Mitch
I don't agree with DUI, operating drunk/stoned etc. Never done it, never will. Those who do are the w*****s, not us here having a smile. OldTanker, watching something happen in front of you and laughing while doing nothing to stop it is a world apart from reading about it after the event and seeing the funny side.
I thought the drunk at work thing had all but finished some years ago, as I had not seen this issue on sites for a long time until the other week, I was on a fairly large City site with about 30 workmen looking busy (its a new site for office buildings) I was tucked away in a corner working on a CAT 320, also in the corner with me was 2 men drunk as scunks, with their fellow workmen sort of covering for them??? tctractors
Sadly not, Tony. We've recruited agency operators over the last five years, and it's been a recurrent problem, specially with the night shift. The junkies are just as bad. I'll never be convinced that any rubbish you smoke, snort or shoot up your veins makes you a better at your job.
I got to be pals with a guy back in the 70's. Went to go hunting with him. Once we got to the area were going to hunt we got out of my car and he pulled a joint out and claimed it made him a better shot. Not funny at all. we did not hunt that day! I don't look at events like this drunk operator as funny. Stuff like this happens all too often. I look at it as a learning point. The point being weather you are driving down the road or around heavy equipment, you never know when that druggy or drunk is going to do something stupid. Rick
We agree on the important bit, Rick, but after the event, as long as no-one was hurt...well, we'll just have to differ. Have a nice day. Brian
The general contractor was Ames , where do they have a good reputation? Drinking on the night shift was common when I worked for them.
I'm thinking they are referring to the new construction on I90 by LaCrosse Wi where they are doing the interchange there, been by it a few times, Rochester doesn't have the Mississippi river anywhere near it. As for the D8 pushing anything where he was at, I'm thinking he may have been lost, along with drunk, I'm also thinking there's far more to the story than what's been told. For any D8 to push sand or anything down by the river there, would be quite a task, D8's make better boat anchors and then do pontoon boats, I might believe a LGP D6 maybe. Actually I never paid much attention to what they were doing, just trying not to get killed while traveling through the work zone there. I'm also thinking the Zumbrota river runs through Rochester Minnesota but maybe someone there can correct me if I"m wrong.
Randy, see my post above, #13, he took a boat back to Dakota so I'm gonna guess that he was moving dredge sand on an island. Yes it is in the area of the I90 project, nowhere near Rochester.
Ha haha ha ha ha ha Ike laughing so hard it hurts
Cam85. How the hell are you? met any of the Morreli clan in Townsville<used to be concern there back 25-30 years ago,mainly Back-Hoe operation near the Bohle.
Did you work for them on the power plants in Colorado around 1980? They and Johnson Bros were both there on a joint venture. I think the whole construction industry was half drunk back in them days on the big jobs. It was fortunate that most of us survived.
Hey Garrie yea ime good mate I'll try and make time 4 a gasbag in the next week or so good to hear from u I trust ur going well. Can't say I've heard of em. Oh I totally agree the matter with the floating d8 is seriouse and not a laughing matter but I just couldn't help my self my lips turned up at the edges and I just roared laughing I think I've been away to long and my sence of humer is getting a bit cross threaded.
Hi Cam85, Alls good here pal, you sound good 2. I didn't intend to upset anyone with my comment but there it is, my opinion,wont change and don't give a rats gold tooth if anyone aggress with it or not. Catch you later.
It's all good mate u didn't upset me but make me laugh. Here's another chuckle worthy incident with morons at the lead. Where I was just working we had magnetic Revolving lights 4 the utes 4 escort reasons and some bright spark thought It would b fun 2 put them on and see how fast u could drive b4 they flew of. Just plain old stupid. But me being me roared laughing at the safety meeting when it was brought up just can't help my self
Sad to see alcohol ruin someone's life and others around them. Very overlooked and dangerous drug. Known too many people effected and affected by it. Too bad it is socially acceptable, radio, tv commercials, etc. I do love Budweiser beer commercials tho.
Seabass: I totally disagree, VB ads as way better.
Cam85:You might be in the running for a safety audit,Your defense will be that Laughing has always beaten crying every time.
More Minnesotans getting in trouble. At the bottom of the story they mention that this was only the second snowplowing DUI of the day, so don't say things aren't getting better. http://kstp.com/news/stories/s4013776.shtml And here's the mug shot. http://www.kare11.com/story/news/2016/01/12/man-arrested-dwi-while-plowing-snow-child-lap/78673634/
I sure hate this half a**ed news reporting. No mention of where the kid came from or anything else. I wonder if someone else was stupid enough to send their kid to ride with a drunk or ????? I for one am glad the cops are paying attention.