Just bought this dozer and think I may have to rebuild the motor, need opinions if this is normal. You can notice the lack of compression by the cranking.Thanks link is below https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVIgcVmtvBM
Blowby looks excessive for an engine at idle . Now if was under a hard pull lugging looking like that I wouldn't be to concerned . Probably needs overhauled or at least an in frame with new rings & bearings .
Yes looks a little excessive but does it get better when it's good and warmed up? I would change oil, put in a good straight grade (Case liked SAE30) run it see if it uses any oil. The engine probably needs a overhaul but if it doesn't use oil like it's going out of style a gallon of Lucas™ might keep the old girl clanking away a long time.
Ive never done a inframe are they a lot easier? just pop the pistons and sleeves out and leave the crank in right? The motor was completely warmed up in the video. on a cold start in the mourning it takes forever to get it started.
In some ways easier. Some ways harder. Is that a 336 engine?
It's a 188 case 4cyl.
Yair . . . Fordman . I agree with Shimmy1. Depends on circumstances. Is the machine for casual use or are you out to make a dollar with it? Either way I wouldn't tear into it unless it was using oil like crazy or way down on power. Hard starting problems can be fixed with a bit of gasoline soaked rag under the air cleaner inlet. I have an Iseki wheel tractor that has been blowing harder than that for years, uses a bit of oil but it does four or five hundred hours every year. Cheers.
Foreman I'd say you've got one pot with broken rings with a hole blown down the side of the piston with it missing and blowing like that. But it's amazing how long they will run like that thou. Bill.
I'm not sure if a 188 is made the same as the 336, 401, 451, 504 engines but if it is they are notorious ft or having cracked counterbores when you machine them to get proper sleeve protrusion. I confess I have put a couple together without machining (they were within a few thousandths) but were budget fixes for friends.
Do you think if I did a inframe it would be alright to leave the main bearings alone? It seems doing that spin method with the crank in might lead me to scoring a journal. Has 40psi oil pressure at idle.
I actually bought the machine to build a pond with a grade a stretch of road couple of times a year.
The idea of an in frame overhaul is to save time & labor of pulling the engine . Can generally do an in frame in half the time vs. out of frame pulling the engine . Most of the time attention is paid to the bottom end of the engine . Rod & main bearings , pistons & sleeves , rings . Heads & valve work depend on the mechanics opinion of there condition at the time & how much the customer wants to spend . Like Scrub Puller mentioned if the machine is for occasional use then try it as is & see how things go . May work fine for what you are doing with it . Best of luck with it Fordman .