Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8t shifting problem

viktor · 2021-05-17 18:03

Hi I have a d8t with serial Kpz03077 and is not shifting in first gear.i have code113 585-2.and673-2 code doesn't shift in forward or reverse in first gear but shifts in 2 gearoil level is ok

Replies22
  1. #1Nige2021-05-18 10:43

    Both your Codes are related to the powertrain. 113-585-2 is the #1 transmission output speed sensor signal "erratic, intermittent, or incorrect" 113-673-2 is the #2 transmission output speed sensor signal "erratic, intermittent, or incorrect" There are troublehsooting procedures for both if you want them. Just ask.

  2. #2viktor2021-05-19 10:22

    Ok thank you. Yes please.and what I did I checked the pressure on the modulation valve.in first gear forward I had 100psi.and first gear reverse I had about 20 psi.and in secon forward and second reverse I had over 300psi.it shifts perfect in 2 gear.

  3. #3Nige2021-05-19 11:05

    I'll send you the diagnostic procedures but before going the electronic route I would suggest that you remove the transmission filter and cut it open. Inspect it for the presence of particles of burned clutch friction material. Also check the transmission oil for any indication that it is burned, smell is usually a good first impression. If you want to go as far as draining the oil pull the suction screen and look for particles there. That's where the big lumps of debris all end up. Electronic problems with a speed sensor would not cause a loss of pressure like the one you are describing. I fear that you may have lost the first speed clutch in the transmission.

  4. #4viktor2021-05-19 12:06

    Yes I took filter out and it was very dirty Ike sand or some black stuff in there like kinda arbon build op and small metal files.filter is plugged and had msg on screen tray filter restrictions bypass something like that and oil is dirty.and reverse presser in first gear was about 200psi not 20.

  5. #5viktor2021-05-19 12:07

    Her some pictures

  6. #6viktor2021-05-19 12:08

    How do I check 1st gear clutches

  7. #7Nige2021-05-19 12:18

    Based on your comments there is no need to "check" the 1st speed clutch. The "sand" and "black stuff" are the remains of the friction material of the 1st speed clutch plates, and maybe other clutches in the transmission also. The next step is to remove the transmission, completely disassemble it, evaluate the condition of all five clutches plus all the other internal components, and repair as necessary.

  8. #8Nige2021-05-20 10:17

    Thinking about the diagnostic codes it may be that the tips of the speed sensors (which are magnetic) are covered with the "small metal filings" that you mentioned above. If that is the case then cleaning the sensors while the transmission is being rebuilt will most likely solve the problem.

  9. #9viktor2021-05-27 13:05

    Ok thank you for your help I took the tranny out and send it away to rebuilding

  10. #10Nige2021-05-27 13:28

    Please can you ask the rebuilder to take some photos showing the condition of the clutch friction plates & discs then post them here.

  11. #11viktor2021-05-27 14:05

    Yes I can try

  12. #12viktor2021-05-28 12:10
  13. #13viktor2021-05-28 12:11

    That the picture I got from the rebuilder who is rebuilding the the d8 transmission

  14. #14Nige2021-05-28 12:51

    I assume that is the 1st speed clutch.? She's well burned but could have been worse. There could have been no friction material at all left on the discs. Have them take some photos of the friction discs for 2nd & 3rd speed, also forward & reverse direction, and see how they compare.

  15. #15absoluteyukon2021-05-31 02:23

    I'm curious as the weight, grade and make of the powertrain oil you are using in your power shift transmissions? It seems like quite an unfortunate coincidence to lose clutch packs in two different machines in a short amount of time... Is your powertrain oil TO-4 rated and of good quality?

  16. #16absoluteyukon2021-05-31 02:45

    I would also recommend replacing the powertrain oil cooler if it has not recently been done. A cooler failure will destroy friction discs and seals in short order, thus it is relatively cheap insurance against premature component failure. You may also want to consider draining the remaining oil from your torque converter and checking the suction screen for contamination as well. Now may also be a good time to thoroughly inspect and replace (if neccessary) your driveshaft u-joints (use new Cat bolts). In my opinion it's already going to be expensive, best practice is to start again as fresh as possible to limit further downtime. P.s. judging by the clutch pack racking your component builder is using I doubt this is their first rodeo, so you are probably in good hands in that regard. Good luck! Edit: Your transmission speed sensors should also be replaced at this time and a very thorough inspection of the internal transmission harness. Any signs of cracked wires, rubs through the insulation or heat discoloration and it's a candidate for replacement.

  17. #17Nige2021-05-31 07:48

    +1 on the cooler replacement. I would always suggest that the cooler should be replaced when overhauling a transmission.

  18. #18viktor2021-06-01 01:11

    We just replaced the cooler about 500hrs before the clutches went.thank you for the help.

  19. #19Nige2021-06-01 09:36

    In that case I would suggest that the cooler is removed and cleaned internally. There will be a lot of the “black sand” material from the clutch failure in it that will contaminate the newly-overhauled transmission.

  20. #20viktor2021-06-01 15:22

    Yed definitely I gonna flush it inspect it again and change the filter. thank you for the help.

  21. #21Nige2021-06-01 15:34

    I think you should run it no more than 50 hours after the rebuilt transmission is installed and at that point change all the filters in the transmission/converter circuit as an absolute minimum. Cut open the fitlers and inspect for particles. If you find a lot of particles then I would strongly suggest that you also change the transmission oil at the same time.

  22. #22Franklin72023-11-29 16:49

    Are these speed sensors located inside the transmission? Do you have to take the belly pan off to access them? I'm getting same codes on ours as well. Thinking they might be just dirty because of sporadic stalling in 1st gear.