Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D9 Pony Conversion or used Pony

psurob600 ยท 2010-03-19 08:21

I wont post the whole story but I have the opportunity to own a D9 (1967 believe G) that was last running in 2006. The current owner used it to clear their property and then parked it. He removed the pony with the intent of rebuilding it and then deployed for 2 years with the military. Upon returning the pony motor could not be found. I have researched the electric conversion but have heard that the older engines require "some" time to start. Does anyone have a used pony or information/advice that would help me decide if I want to tackle this project. My options are to either fix it and use it on my own property or to part it out and/or scrap it. Any advice/help is appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1DPete2010-03-19 10:21

    I converted 2 D8H's to direct start several years ago. It's a good upgrade but pricey, you need to change the pre combustion chambers to the glow plug type to do it right. Seems like the kit was + or - $4500 at that time. I did the labor. Pony engines are obsolete but may be your best choice for ocassional use. If the whole thing is missing ( tranmission and all) you can probably find one where they junk out tractors or look online. Luck to you

  2. #2AmerIndependent2010-03-19 10:23

    What is the serial # of your machine?

  3. #3Greg2010-03-19 21:34

    I have a pony that came off of a D7E which I converted to electric that I am willing to part with. It needs some work but could be made into a functioning unit. Send me a PM so we can talk about the details.

  4. #4Buckethead2010-03-19 22:44

    The pony start was not without it's advantages. You could crank the diesel engine, until you had oil pressure, then close the compression release. And if the battery was dead you could hand crank the pony.

  5. #5RonG2010-03-20 04:14

    The proper way to start the engine is to crank it until it is turning over under full compression in high gear with oil pressure then you can add the fuel to get the main engine running.Ron G

  6. #6sledgehammer2010-03-20 14:59

    word. and it's almost completely self reliant. it could be -30 for two weeks and you can have the machine running in an hour and a half. worst part about it was the engines weren't the best, and the old carbs ran like poo.