Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu drive train fluid suggestions?

John Canfield ยท 2010-03-17 20:09

Spent quite a bit of time today getting to know my dozer. Checked most of the fluid levels. Hydraulic fluid was high, engine oil too high (yes we're parked level) and drive train fluid was at the add mark. My manual calls for SAE 10W HDTF - heavy duty transmission fluid meeting C4/TO-4 standards. Any ideas what commonly available tranny fluid meets the spec? Dexron, Mercon? What should I use?

Replies8
  1. #1D6c10K2010-03-17 21:29

    found this with google search... http://www.modernmachinery.com/stories/oil_recs.htm I'd lean toward somthing like Cat fluids or maybe CaseIH HyTran, but you might call the local Komatsu shop

  2. #2MrKomatsu2010-03-17 22:33

    we used delo 400 30w in all our d32,38, and 39's...-1's..had no problems...we're in H-town...

  3. #3John C.2010-03-17 22:45

    The issues now are that engine oils and transmission oils are heading in different directions as far as what they are supposed to do. Engine oils are getting slicker and may have problems working on frictions and steel reaction plates. My first experience with it was Komatsu internal wet brakes in loaders. You had to install a friction modifier or the brakes would chatter something fierce. I don't know what year your machine is or what model. The units that evolved from the Dresser line, TD7 - TD8 - TD9 all used Tractor Hydraulic fluid or what they called at the time HYDO. The Komatsu machines D37 and D39 used 30Wt. engine oil. Since Komatsu married the model designations together you have to be a little careful. I would certainly advise a call to a Komatsu dealer to make sure. Good Luck!

  4. #4John Canfield2010-03-17 22:49

    Ed and D6 - thanks very much. I read the Google article and I'm still confused. I've used Delo before (it and Rotella are my two favorite oils), but never in a transmission. Think I will give our Komatsu dealer a call.

  5. #5John Canfield2010-03-17 22:51

    Year and model in my signature...

  6. #6John C.2010-03-18 00:49

    OK, I believe that machine is the original TD9H with a few Komatsu changes and will probably require the HYDO or tractor hydraulic fluid. The Dresser machines have the countershaft transmissions and as I recall the Komatsu machines have the planetary unit, thus the different oil requirements.

  7. #7Alvin Tim2010-03-18 13:07

    I changed the fluids on my D41 last year and used Rotella 30w in both the hydraulic, steering and transmission. That was what the people were using that I bought the dozer from and the dealer confirmed the 30w.

  8. #8John Canfield2010-03-18 13:16

    Done deal... Stopped by the Phillips 66/Conoco distributor (where I buy dyed diesel) today and asked about what they recommend for my application. We found a suitable replacement - Conoco HD Fleet 10W which meets Cat TO-2 and Allison C-4 spec which is apparently equivalent to Komatsu TO10 which replaced SAE10W Heavy Duty Transmission Fluid (HDTF.) (It got a bit confusing.) Thanks go to D6c10K for an excellent article link :thumbsup. The Komatsu dealer didn't call me back as yet for their recommendation.