Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D9D awaken from a 20yr nap. VIDEO

powerjoke ยท 2010-10-07 23:09

it's an ole 19A, or at least thats the serial on the side of the block so it may have been repowered, I thought all 19A machines were TorqueConverter'd ?? they had to braze up the gas tank for the pony and she fired right up, sorry for the 3 vids and not all in 1, i wanted to take a couple of pics and i only knew how to do it if i stopped the vid The 91y.o. man couldnt be happier . believe it or not the ole girl is going to get put back in service for a little rubble pushing there on the farm. YouTube - Cat D9D woke up after a 20yr nap first smoke in years YouTube - Cat D9D Alive and running after 20yrs She's a little smokey but the fuel is about 20 years old and....besides that, she just can if she wants too....lol. YouTube - Caterpillar D9D Dozer first movement in 20yrs What do ya think Pj

Replies23
  1. #1powerjoke2010-10-07 23:15

    duplicate Pj

  2. #2muzy2010-10-08 00:41

    Cool, lets see her push. muzy

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2010-10-08 04:20

    Old girl still remembers how to blow smoke rings. Old man has a grin from ear to ear. I wonder how many people told him he would never get it to run again? Showed them!

  4. #4D5G2010-10-08 10:49

    wow! thats just plain awesome, great vids Pj.

  5. #5jimrr2010-10-08 10:56

    i just love getting old stuff running again.

  6. #6D&GExcavating2010-10-08 13:50

    Thats awesome! I really wish I had an old D9. Love the sound, power, and size of those.

  7. #7spitzair2010-10-08 17:22

    That is awesome! I just love it when an old machine gets a new lease on life instead of falling victim to the melting pot! The grin on the ol' feller says it all! Wish I had a D9!

  8. #8loggah2010-10-08 17:51

    There tough old machines,i had a 19A i ran for 10 years or so ,cable blade,with the twin disc torque converter that ran on diesel fuel. i sold it to a buddy of mine he starts it and moves it around every once in a while. I also had a 18A with the oil clutch and 6 speed trans, it got bad enough so i scrapped most of it out ,i gave a friend the bottom tracks, and planetarys. Don

  9. #9DPete2010-10-08 18:04

    Good to see her runnin, suprised you could get that old fuel to fire.

  10. #10powerjoke2010-10-08 21:18

    the TC ran on diesel?....I read a little about it but thought it was a typo. why would it have to have a hand clutch if it had a TC I havent been around 'em.... I too am surprised she ran on 20yo fuel, it ended up springing a fuel leak where the filter housing ataches to the top of the inj pump probably because of plugged fuel filters. but when it did it sprayed everywhere and me an another guy debated wether or not it was diesel or antifreeze lol. it had no odor or taste or color to it....but she still ran . Pj

  11. #11Komatsu 1502010-10-09 10:43

    The transmission is still basically the same mechanical gear transmission as direct drive machine so you need a way to uncouple drive in order to shift.

  12. #12loggah2010-10-09 17:10

    Exactly right ,standard transmission behind the converter. the torque converter was a 3 stage and goes right into high range untill you got a load on it, blade half full or a tractor pan being pulled . the 19A was a good tractor pan machine,the 18A was a better steep ground dozer , ripping tractor. That old 19A really moved out untill the blade was loader. I used it beside a 66A tractor reclaiming a landfill and was quite a bit faster,also lighter and flotation was better. Don

  13. #13DPete2010-10-09 19:56

    Cat made that configuration in the 15A D8 also, basically a 14A with a TC. Must not have been desireable, I think they were only made a couple years. I believe the early 46A's TC was also fuel charged

  14. #14powersmoke182010-10-11 17:34

    awesome!! wish the farmer by me didnt cut up his d9g for scrap he such an idiot!!!!!

  15. #15Roadswitcher2010-11-28 05:07

    torque converter over manual transmission Allis Charmers also tried out the concept too in the early 60's on the HD 11 - can't remember if it used diesel or oil.

  16. #16truklodyte2010-11-28 06:46

    Are you going to post more video of the old girl running around the property?

  17. #17Buckethead2010-11-29 10:58

    Does that farmer have any other iron not cut up yet?

  18. #18ACcrazy2011-07-22 10:46

    Bump. More video please.

  19. #19chevota842011-07-22 11:48

    35a was the 8h with the fuel charged converter. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

  20. #20OBPM2011-07-22 12:36

    I think I saw the smoke cloud here in NJ when you guys fired that up!

  21. #21yblock2011-08-08 21:51

    ther was a dry clutch between the flywheel and the torqu to phacilitate gear and direction changes. yblock

  22. #22Jdigger41302011-08-08 22:47

    AWESOME!!! So cool to see stuff like this ressurected

  23. #23ACcrazy2011-08-09 10:49

    Our old (late '50s?) HD16 cable blade used diesel for the torque converter.