We have a D9G 66A SN series that we have been using on a hand shake deal that we might be able to buy cheap. The machine has cushion blade and that’s all we’re using it for is pushing 631’s. Over all the machine is decent in that it cranks fairly easily, steers fine etc. however the machine is about 500hrs out from needing a bottom put on and has no known it verifiable history. I’ve ball parked a new UC at $55K. We need a machine this size for these scrapers so I started looking around and found a D9H that has a U blade, ripper, 1,500hrs left on the UC and an enclosed cab plus it is in much better shape cosmetically but they’re asking for $60k. Here’s the question, does it make since to stick with the machine we know and can buy for about $19K or go the route of taking a chance on spending $60K on what seems to be a better machine all around. Seems to me that just the UC cost makes it worth the chance but I’m still on the fence. Parts still seem to be out there but what do you guys think? We’re not moving more than 500,000CY a year so the machine isn’t working all day everyday for some reference point on how hard we’d being pushing it.
Get a reputable local guy like John C to evaluate the H for you. If he sends up no red flags I'd go with the H.
If you're going to try and push scrapers with a true U blade you're going to have to factor in the cost of a bunch of tires. If you have the work buy a later model tractor. Bob
I’d stick to the 9G.You know it’s working well enough for what it is and the 9C blade is what you need.
If you do go for the 9H you would need to factor the cost of finding and installing a cushion blade on top of the price of the tractor.
I'm thinking the cushion blade would fit either machine. Both machines are old and subject to the same kinds of problems and you know what you have with the G. How many places did you check on for the undercarriage costs?
True, but as I understand it the OP does not own the G at this time, only the option to buy it. "We have a D9G 66A SN series that we have been using on a hand shake deal that we might be able to buy cheap" . So assuming he buys the H then as I see it he's going to be looking for a C blade from somewhere.
I called my local Wilson Finley branch. They usually have the best pricing on UC components around Atlanta
Nige is correct and from what I have just found out, if I want the C blade I may as well by the dozer its on because the price of the machine is just a few thousand more once you factor in removal, install and shipping from out of state.
I miss quoted the blade type on the machine. Its an SU blade. So yes definitely more likely to get a tire but not quite as bad as a U blade. When I was in high school working summers I pushed 621 scrapers with an Cat D8N with a SU blade and learned quickly what can happen if you don't understand the blades "reach"...
I have tried to get answers back to everyone here that has posted so this is the general update for the original post: Looks like I have lost the owners buy in on the purchase. The current owner of the machine has failed to produce the paper work he said he had and so the owner has said no go on moving ahead. We did send a grading foreman down to check out the machine that is in his 60's and has some seat time in these vintage of dozers and he was impressed. Found out that the pins had already been turned on the dozer but it was over all as advertised minus the paper work to backup the repairs that we made. He actually said he'd buy it if it were to come down between the two. Maybe the broker will come through on the paper work but till then looks like this one is dead. Guess we'll run out the UC on the H and see how far we get.
Well,it may be difficult to get a true idea of any repair history done on a dozer that old,and even if you did get the paperwork,are you entirely convinced it’s true?It may not be dealer work and possibly a grey area. I wouldn’t discount this D9G just yet. So far,you‘ve worked alongside it for some time,it’s also got the right blade you need,you’ve also had your chap take a look at it and he likes it. There is a certain element of pot luck here. My thoughts are that you’ve been working with it and have got to know it. Has the D9H been stood,or do you know the tractor? I’d definitely keep an open mind on the G for now sir.
Good news, I got the maintenance history on the machine from the original owner. Have a look and let me know what you all think. The machine was purchased new by a company out of Kansas; List and Clark Co. and was used to push pans on dam build outs.
Have a look at the service records on the D9H I just posted. It would appear to have been cared for. Regarding the D9G, Yes we've worked the machine for about a year and so far not too much has cropped up. But we do know there are repairs needed not far off in the future. I agree the blade it has is what we need. I have not yet been able to get a firm price on a used C blade yet for the machine were looking at but I need to call some dismantlers to see what they'd take for one of theirs. Problem is they're all out west from what I can find. Your are right my foreman I sent to test it really liked the tractor. I'm hopeful that I can get this paper work in front of the owner for a second look and see what he thinks. If we do or don't buy this D9H, you're right its a luck game as to if it or the G will hold together better. I am attaching a link to the machine we're talking about for you to have a look over https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/227000546269761/ The machine has been worked but only enough I would say very lightly since it was bought.
That is a u-blade and that undercarriage is on the downhill side of well wore out with new pads . You might want to check the track width to see if its less than the cutting width of your scrapers. The hard parts on those old tractors are becoming hard to find and the wear parts are right behind. Bob
@mowingman just shared this in a different post. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/595181814884694/ Not a cushion blade machine, just another option available. Probably no better than your current D9G though.
I’m sorry 631G,but I’ve downloaded the history 3 times and can’t seem to find it on my phone anywhere.I’m not too clever with these things. You mention that there are some repairs coming your way for the D9G.What sort of issues are there?
I'm wondering why the rippers are chained up.
Because they bleed down I got a chuckle out of all the welded on cutting edges on the blade.
I don't think the cutting edges are welded but they have been flipped But the rippers were run without teeth or shin guards. Bob
Here are pictures of the 9 I am looking at to cut the whole Facebook issue out.
Part 2 of the pictures
Here are the service history pages as photos: Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Here are some photos of the D9G and its UC we have now for comparison.
Part 2
Ref Page 1 of the service history. The previous owner used the tractor for pushing scrapers and sold it with a C blade, which the current owner removed and replaced with a SU blade. Does he know what happened to the original C blade & fittings.?
part 3
Berco master link on the G Model. I can't tell on the H model.
Looks like about half wore out Berco tracks with new pads to me. Bob
That tractor has a U- blade on it. Bob
The D9H certainly appears straight and looked after during its life. Allthough it’s a strange looking cab,you may be thankful for the extra comfort it offers and you won’t need to buy pads for the rest of its life. Tough decision for you to make,but only you can actually see them both in the flesh and weigh the pros and cons up.
The mounts for the cushion blade are still on the machine. The blade I am not too sure of. I have asked the salesman about it to see if he may still have it.
The pads on the G are old. So old in fact that they've thinned to the point of stress cracking. The grousers are weld on bar stock.
I was talking about the H . Bob
Im in Tenn. 4 hrs from Atlanta and have plenty d9h parts and g parts tracks rippers engines c push cushion blade even have a very large Vcutter blade for a D9h or g i have put 20 acres on the ground per day of big tall timber stumps ect. nothing else compares for clearing - Shearing ground, message me if you need something maybe i can help you out.
Why don’t you buy both. Then you have the blades you want and a spare when one goes down.
I really like that non standard enclosed cab, seems better than the factory offering of those days. Even the standard open rops instrument panel is there, the cab is just an add on to the open rops. Looks like a fairly clean dozer.