Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D9H

bccat ยท 2021-01-26 23:41

New Cat D9H, Finning Vancouver

Replies16
  1. #1.RC.2021-01-27 01:09

    Did the early H's have the same exhaust as the G's? Vertical like that rather then horizontal.

  2. #2R.D.G0132021-01-27 06:04

    Yeah, I drove an early model H and it had the muffler like that.

  3. #3GODSDOZER2021-01-27 19:21

    Owned one for several years.................great dozer

  4. #4Tinkerer2021-01-28 08:38

    The horizontal muffler came out on the new K models. I spent a lot of hours on both.

  5. #5Tinkerer2021-01-28 19:53

    I should have said newer D9H.

  6. #6Metalman 552021-01-29 11:44

    Yeah, I was wondering what I was missing all these years.........never heard of a 9K!! I ran this 8K when it was new........lovely machine!

  7. #7Bluox2021-01-29 12:28

    If you are talking about a D8K No they didn't. Bob

  8. #8Tinkerer2021-01-29 14:04

    I don't remember running one that didn't have a horizontal muffler. The contractor I worked for had several of them (8K's).

  9. #9Metalman 552021-01-29 14:09

    I agree that they were both ways........the one with the picture I posted was a model year 1975 & it had the upright style. I believe the later ones were horizontal, or at least some of them.

  10. #10John C.2021-01-30 13:25

    The early D8Ks that I put hands on had the horizontal muffler under the hood. There were plenty of heat problems with cracked heads. I believe a kit came out to change the mount to on top of the hood and then the machines came from the factory with the mufflers mounted on the hood. I worked on a few 9G machines and the only H models I saw had the vertical stacks.

  11. #11Bluox2021-01-30 20:16

    The early 8Ks had a exhaust pipe on top of the motor that came up thru the front of the hood to a vertical muffler. The later ones came up thru the back of the hood and the horizonal muffler was on top of the hood. Bob

  12. #12GODSDOZER2021-01-31 22:12

    I removed the mufflers on both my D8K and D9H and just ran straight pipe out.

  13. #13Bluox2021-01-31 22:53

    So what did you do with the dust ejector ? Bob

  14. #14GODSDOZER2021-01-31 23:35

    I do not know, my mechanic at the time did the retrofit. Owned the D8K for 10 years and the D9H for 12. Both were fantastic machines. Other than track work I only had to replace the final drive as a high ticket repair in all those years. the final cost around 20K.

  15. #15bccat2021-02-03 01:13

    D9g,s Maui 1976

  16. #16bccat2021-02-03 01:15