Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How big of a dozer can I haul?

bdog1234 · 2021-01-26 21:36

I have a tandem axle day cab and a tandem axle 42’ trailer - registered for 80k. I current have a Deere 550 with a ten foot blade. I can angle the blade and get it to fit on the trailer and not be over width. I need a bigger machine. I know I will wind up overwidth but I guess the permits for that aren’t that big of deal. How big (heavy) of a machine can I get before I would need a bigger trailer? I want to get the biggest thing I can haul with my current setup.

Replies11
  1. #1Junkyard2021-01-26 21:38

    Safe rule of thumb for any state with a permit is 12k steer, 40k drives, 40k trailer tandem, 92k gross. Subtract your empty weight and you have your payload. Some will give more per tandem, 46k in several states. What state are you in?

  2. #2bdog12342021-01-26 21:41

    I’m in Texas. I thought I was limited to 12/34/34. Not really sure what my rig weighs empty. Also wasn’t sure if a dozer was able to be loaded to perfectly max out the weight of all the axles. Was thinking there might be a general guideline like D5 ok, D6 need triple axle, or whatever.

  3. #3Junkyard2021-01-26 21:44

    Tx will give 46k per tandem on a permit. They have annual permits but you’d have to move a lot to justify the upfront expense. You shouldn’t have any trouble getting it axled out if you don’t push it too close on payload. 104 gross, say 40k empty you should be able to haul a 60k machine assuming your trailer is structurally up to it as well as the condition of tires, brakes etc

  4. #4bdog12342021-01-27 01:51

    Thanks and wow. I had no idea I could haul something that large. We had a 50k lb 850 dozer delivered a while back it came on a triple axle detach pulled by a triple axle truck.

  5. #5bdog12342021-01-27 01:58

    This is the trailer I have https://www.vanderhaags.com/detailview.php?part=24237339

  6. #6d6peg2021-01-27 15:25

    since you are in tx. you can use conservation plates and a animal husbandry permit for over weight. the permit is around $400 per yr. I'm allowed up to 102000lbs. I haul my d6t, I'm about 88-90,000lbs loaded. conservation plates allow for over width and over height but not overweight.

  7. #7CaseFan132021-01-27 20:30

    In Pennsylvania, we can haul about 40-45,000 before you need a permit depending on truck and tractor. Also in PA you can get a yearly permit for a machine for over width. That way you can just jump in the truck and go with it.

  8. #8bdog12342021-01-27 22:45

    I don’t think I can go that route. While I never will haul the dozer out of state my truck has apportioned plates as it hauls other things all over the place. The dozer I am looking at is a Deere 750K. Specs say it weighs around 35k. I’m thinking I should be ok weight wise and not be over 80? I need to say my truck and trailer empty but I can’t imagine them being much over 35k leaving me plenty of room

  9. #9805DirtDog2021-01-27 22:52

    Wow, I wish we could haul that much. We are 12/34/34 in commiefornia. I haul the 700k occasionally and sweat seein the DOT

  10. #10d6peg2021-01-28 11:50

    I'm sorry that you have to run apportioned plates. but you still might check into the animal husbandry permit. contact me and I can give you the info I have on it.

  11. #11Junkyard2021-01-28 13:20

    With a permit you can do quite a bit more in CA. Honestly they have some of the best permit allowances there are. A little quirky on big trailers but other than that I don’t mind CA for permit loads.