Good evening i have a D9H with a D353 engine i had to change a head on my engine. upon completion of this i test ran the machine which ran fine until i put a load on it after rechecking my valve setting and fuel pressures i had to remove the fuel injector pump and have it rebuilt. Their were four plungers bad in my pump. i had it rebuilt by a certified shop i now have the pump back on the machine have set the time to the pump but i can not get the machine run. It will start with a shot of starting fluid but wont run on its own. my primary pump is losing prime when i pump it up before i can lock it off. can this be my problem or is there another issue i may be having.
Just guessing not ASSuME ing here but I wonder if the transfer pump is pumping backwards????? If you have enough battery crank it up and check the fuel pressure that develops. If not check the lines are connected right. However you may still have a lot of air in the system. Later Bob
I have bled air from system but it same to me like I'm not getting enough pressure from the unit pumps to open the injectors. How do i rectify my tranfer pump pumping backwards.
First verify that it's pumping the right way by taking the line to the fuel pressure gauge off and cranking the engine. If fuel comes out it's good. If that proves out good with the throttle in shut off position loosen all fuel lines to the nozzels and you should be able to pump fuel through and ge air out. Later Bob
I am not getting any fuel from the fuel pressure line. Can you assist in how i get the transfer pump turn the right direction.
I'm looking at the parts book for a D9G and the transfer pump is the typical gear driven pump. I'd like to know how it could be reversed? I could see where the flow could get reversed if the pump is shot and the priming pump output would leak back.
I took that to mean that the lines could be hooked up to the fuel pump backwards...
Yeah I wondered that too until I saw where he said to make sure the lines are connected right.
I only show one inlet line to the pump, plus small drain line. Discharge is internal to filter housing. Fuel pressure should be 28 psi.
That should rule out wrong line hookup maybe check relief valve is right. Later Bob
Disconnect fuel inlet line at the transfer pump and check to see there is a generous supply of fuel flow. If there is then checking the bypass valve in the transfer pump would be the next thing to do. If all checks out I would suspect the transfer pump has problems. Good fuel pressure needs to be maintained to the injection pump as part of the flow operates the pressure ratio control valve and exhaust by-pass valve to regulate the turbo charger.
i have taken the transfer pump apart and put it back together i am still l having the same problem. with the exception that now when i got it started with the aid of starting fluid fuel did come thru the fuel pressure gauge line. Is it possible that when they rebuilt the pump for me the firing order of the pump was change.
Have you checked if the rack is connected to the governor lever? Have you checked the timing? The firing order is determined by the camshaft (in the FIP) so no, it can't be changed.
Also check that the rack is not stuck. I believe the fuel injection pump timing is determined by offset tang or indexed spline (not sure on that) so it shouldn't be possible to screw up the timing. OK, so you have had the transfer pump apart. What are the clearances between gear teeth and tooth tip to housing and total end clearance. Original clearances were 0.0008 to 0.002". If they are up to 0.005" the pump needs to be replaced.
I seem to recall something about the timing marks on the flywheel had to be set in the right place and then a pin timing was done on the fuel pump. The pump was then installed on the engine. Could you describe how you timed the pump to the engine?
To time the pump to engine i dollowed the information in the service manual i locked pump in the time position by turning it and applting koocking pin i then turned the engine to the to the tc 1&6 mark i then tighten the couple for the pump back to the engine i bleed out the system and try starting. I havent had any success with this
You may have he pump timed to #6 not #1. Put on tdc and check the valves at #1 are on the rock and pin goes in the pump. Later Bob
I am still not get the air out of my system i can bleed all the air out but once i start rolling the machine over the system is getting filled with air. Cant find a reason why
Either you have a suction side leak to the transfer pump or you have compression leaking back into the system. May have a bad capsule or one that is not seated properly. There are check valves in the injection pump but they are meant to check fluid and can leak air. Remove injector line at the injector one at a time and see if it spits fuel and or air under compression. I'm not sure exactly how that hand priming pump is plumbed but I'd check to see the shut off seat is in good shape and sealing properly.
Start with the fuel supply line, make sure it is clean and flow is good, clean the sediment bowl and screen. Then apply a bit of air pressure to the fuel tank and look for a fuel leak. That is where the air is likely getting in. Later Bob
Thank you guys for all the help i got it sorted out my problem was i was trying to time the pump to the tdc 1-6 and i should of been timing it to the cam shaft once i did this all issues went away machine is running now.
Thanks for letting us know Teneil, Good luck with the rest of your repairs. Later Bob