Hey guys, I am borrowing my neighbors Caterpillar bulldozer 450 LGP?, we had someone come out and replace some leaking seals and put two new batteries in it and we are trying to find out the cause of some of the dash lights. I circled the ones that are flashing. All the fluids seem to be filled and we are not seeing any leaks anymore since the mechanic came out and fixed them. (He also filled transmission fluid with 10w40 oil) As soon as I start it the lightening bolt and bottom left light are flashing...after about 5 minutes the one in the right starts flashing. The bulldozer seems to run fine but I don't want to run it with the lights on. There are a couple of rats that have made nests inside the dozer, we tried clearing their nests out so I'm wondering if maybe they chewed through a wire? I can't seem to find the manual anywhere online, and all the caterpillar places are closed on the weekends. I believe the serial number is 9GJ00764 Does anyone know what all the symbols mean? Thanks
Sorry I think its a D4H not 450. Thx
Your Serial Number 9GJ00764 indicates the machine is a D4H Series III. The warning lights are as follows ........ Bottom left - Hydraulic Oil Temperature. If this flashes from a cold startup you probably have a sensor or wiring issue. Top Right - Alternator malfunction. Could be alternator, could be wiring. This light flashing may indicate low system voltage which could be the root of all your problems. Bottom right - Transmission oil filter plugged. This alarm only actiavtes once the coolant temperature is above a certain value, so the fact it doesn't come on right away could indicate it's a genuine alarm. Personally I would go for diagnosing the alternator malfunction fault first and once fixed see what happens to the other two once the alternator problem is resolved. What 10W/40 oil did the "mechanic" (I use that word advisedly) put in that transmission..? AFAIK there is no 10W/40 oil in the market that meets Cat TO-4 specification for powershift transmission usage. If an Electrical Schematic could help you troubleshoot the wiring let me know your email address and I'll gladly send you one.
Hello Nige, bottom right, Could this be because of the oil used? Oil used -It was just car engine oil..he said you could interchange it with regular oil. Anyone know a good mobile mechanic in the DFW area? (I can't send pm's yet or edit posts, as soon as I do i'll shoot you my email) Thanks for your reply
He's an idiot. You can't use engine oil in a powershift transmission, it has to be a specific powertrain oil that meets Cat TO-4 specification. For Texas I would suggest an SAE30. Question: How much oil did he add to the transmission..? the whole system contains 32 gallons, it may be that if he added no more than a gallon or two you might just get away with it. Depending on how much 10W40 oil was added it might also affect if the filter is bypassing or not but I suspect not. If by your OP two new batteries were put on it (I assume the old ones were shot) then with the alternator light on all the time you have to wonder if the fact the old batteries were shot might just be that the alternator isn't charging. Rather than simply replacing it you really need someone with auto-electrical knowledge to check the charging system just in case the root cause is a wiring fault and not the alternator itself.
15 quarts is about one-eighth of the toal system capacity. For me that is too much. I don't think the machine owner would be too happy either if the transmission failed because of the wrong oil being in it. To change the oil and filter would probably cost somewhere around $300. The procedure for checking the alternator would work so long as you remember it's a 24V system on the D4H not 12V. Therefore you would be looking for 26-28V output from the alternator.
Well I found out what was wrong with the alternator, the wire was chewed up by a rat..and was shorting out... I'll get a pic and post soon after the rains and tornado's we are having here in Dallas decide to stop. I moved the wire from grounding out and both lights (Alternator and Hydraulic oil temperature) don't come on anymore. But still after about 5 minutes of running the dozer starts beeping... Is there are guide on how to replace a transmissions filter? Thx.
The filter is a 343-4464, probably about $30 from your Cat dealer. Don't let anyone fob you off with a 132-8875, that number is no longer for transmission service. One ofvourvother experts will have to give you some guidance on the actual replacement procedures.
We replaced the transmission filter (with the correct part number, thanks for that bit of info), and fixed the alternator wire and bought the SAE 30 CAT oil..and replaced the oil (dang that stuff is expensive), found out that gas tank wire was chewed through as well..and replaced it. We can now run it without it beeping at us...and it runs great. Last light is still on..bottom left flashes all the time(From start up). Hydraulic Oil Temperature.. Does you know where the sensor/wiring is located to try to replace it or look for chewed wires?
I hope someone else can chime in here because I have no way of getting onlineto find the information at the moment. Off the top of my head I'd say on the hydraukic tank but I'm not certain of that. If it is on the tank it'll be on the side closest to the cab and all but impossible to see without a mirror.
Hi, on the earlier S/N machines (I assume will be the same on series 111 machine) the temp switch for the EMS panel is on the bottom of the tank (photo included) The wire number from switch to panel is 404-yellow. The switch original P/N is 9G1300 and is a normally closed switch the opening temperature if the switch is 52 degrees C and closes at 43 degrees C to isolate switch or wiring ground yellow wire at temp switch and EMS panel light should go out, if not wiring or panel is at fault. To isolate panel from harness fault, gain access to back of panel in dash and find pin number 4 in connector to EMS panel and ground. EMS panel light should go out if you need more info please ask Regards Mark 250
part of elec sch for hyd temp circuit Regards Mark250
Mark, had me a little confused in that picture till I was smart enough to READ your description. I was trying to figure why what looked like a oil drain plug was pointing up! Or does oil drain up south of the equator? Sounds like Cruzer need to be setting some traps around that machine to get rid of the rat problem. Might pay to drop belly pans to see what is down there.
sorry about the confusion with the photo. my image converter has a mind of its own and I didn't catch the mistake until I posted. I haven't figured out how to edit yet (work in progress) No our oil doesn't drain up but I believe our bath water swirls in the opposite direction when going down the drain regards mark 250