Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Daddy Long Legs

ncbschzzt ยท 2008-06-13 15:19

Every time I see this machine I cant help but chuckle.

Replies20
  1. #1petersfamilytru2008-06-13 15:27

    That is extremely cool!!! www.petersfamilytrucking.com

  2. #2AtlasRob2008-06-13 17:14

    Tell me thats been photo chopped

  3. #3RoadDoc2008-06-13 17:23

    That is not an uncommon setup for large diameter pipe projects/ drainage projects. Especially in the western states.

  4. #4N.CarolinaDozer2008-06-13 22:42

    I saw one of those digging a drainage canal out in Florida about three years ago.

  5. #5catd8t2008-06-14 09:13

    why why why some one please tell

  6. #6dayexco2008-06-14 10:09

    what roaddoc said...makes perfect sense, large diameter pipe, compaction wheel or plate on excavator, no need for men down in an uncaged/unprotected excavation to compact along pipe sides. looks slicker'n snot on a door knob although i wouldn't have a use for it, don't get into pipe that big

  7. #7ncbschzzt2008-06-14 10:24

    They are not using it for large diameter pipe, they are using it for stepping the trench. They use a large excavator to dig the trench then being this guy in to do the trench steps. Dont ask me I guess they get better production out of their large machine that way.

  8. #8AtlasRob2008-06-14 14:34

    Well, :jawdrop, I understand what it can be used for but :beatsme I'd have lost a lot of money betting it was a photocrop job :drinkup

  9. #9dayexco2008-06-14 17:35

    that's a packwheel on that excavator...not a bucket

  10. #10Gmads2008-06-15 00:25

    This company has a few. http://www.oscarrendacontracting.com/news.cfm

  11. #11AtlasRob2008-06-15 15:12

    Now you say that, I have to agree, I couldnt work the shiney bits sticking up. I never thought of a packer. :thumbsup Thanks for that link, to be honest I kept checking the date as I was sure this was a wind up ( April 1st maybe ) :drinkup

  12. #12will2009-03-08 22:25

    I need one of those Need a wide UC, on a lighter machine, like a 311 cat for ditching with a V bucket on the farm. Where would a guy find one?

  13. #13will2009-03-08 22:27

    .. Something about a third post, but serious about finding an excavator with wide UC.

  14. #14RoadDoc2009-03-09 04:22

    Check with a company called John D. Stephens in Atlanta. They have extensive experience with this type of equipment. Sorry I don't have their number for you. They used to be in large diameter pipe. Heard they were getting out of contracting and going into strictly equipment sales. Their shop is off of SR316 in Gwinnett Co.

  15. #15AtlasRob2009-03-09 15:55

    You might find this thread of intrest.

  16. #16millertime7782009-03-09 17:14

    Thats a pretty sweet setup. Would be a pain in the neck to fit on a lowboy tho! haha:beatsme:drinkup

  17. #17btbw920912009-03-10 10:01

    cool looking machine

  18. #18D5G2009-03-10 21:54

    Nice machine, would love to know what a machine like this setup costs.

  19. #19redline2009-03-11 06:02

    watch that first step when getting off, it's a ripper!!! lol

  20. #20oversize2009-03-11 08:43

    I don't think it wood be as the tracks may close up smilier to the bigger long reach and some of compact ones do, Or you wood just need to drive it over the float places block under sub frame and raise float, and a way you go.