Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Damaged glow plug hole in head

bttpe · 2023-11-29 09:43

When drilling out a stuck glow plug I went too deep and ruined the point where it seals. The threads are fine and a glow plug will install it just is not going to seal. Will this work for a little while until I can gather up enough money to purchase a new head? I'm also considering just plugged the hole with a bolt. The engine has low hours 750 hrs and it's a Duetz in a Bobcat 863. It always starts very quickly never needed to lug or use starting fluid. It looks like the only risk is that it won't start and need a new head at some later point.

Replies2
  1. #1thepumpguysc2023-11-30 11:04

    If u put in a glow plug, it’ll leak compression.. If u plug it w a bolt, you’ll hold the compression.. The other working plugs should fire it off.. You’ll probably get some white smoke from the “cold” cylinder.. that’s to be expected. Good luck

  2. #2bttpe2023-11-30 13:11

    Thanks I'll give that a try. I appreciate the response. I'll let you know how it goes.