Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Damndole 310c problems

treeguys9275 · 2024-01-01 01:25

Hi I have a 1990 John Deere backhoe I changed a head gasket and put it back together but can not get it to start it acts like it wants to and it’s puffing smoke just not starting I believe it might be a valve issue any help on this issue would be desperately gratefully appreciated

Replies13
  1. #1skyking12024-01-01 01:35

    did you touch the pump? If not then did you bleed the injectors out?

  2. #2Vetech632024-01-01 07:52

    You may hear a popping noise if the valve overhead isn't adjusted correctly.

  3. #3Delmer2024-01-01 12:59

    Did you adjust the valve tappet clearances after you put the head back on? The valve clearance will change even if you got the push rods back in the same places.

  4. #4treeguys92752024-01-03 00:37

    I did bleed the injectors by loosening the line and I believe fuel is getting there but don’t know how to adjust the valves I have watched a few videos with out really any luck but I think that’s the problem

  5. #5treeguys92752024-01-03 00:38

    No

  6. #6treeguys92752024-01-03 00:41

    I’m no mechanic by no means but like to think I’m not incapable of getting this backhoe running

  7. #7edgephoto2024-01-03 01:00

    First step would be to break out the shop manual and read how to set valve lash. Then set it per the manual. Cranking it over with the valve clearance off is not really wise. You are filling the cylinders with fuel, assuming that you have injection going on. Too much fuel and you can hydrolock the engine and bend connecting rods. if the lash is way off you could actually hit the valves with the piston. Depends on the engine etc. Bottom line, go back and check/set the valve lash. I would remove the injectors and crank it over to blow out the excess fuel. Make sure to not allow the pump to pump fuel to your disconnected injectors. If you don't have a shop manual post the serial number so someone here can help you get a copy. The crew here will help you get you machine running. Just need to start with the basics and go from there.

  8. #8Delmer2024-01-03 09:22

    What part of the valve setting don't you understand? That's a simple process compared to the head gasket. Do you have feeler gauges? The order is not critical as long as you double and triple check the measurements. Basically any inline engine has pairs of cylinders on the same throw, the front and back, then second from front and second from back, so the middle two are synchronized, at the same level at every point, and the front and back are at the same level. Since it's a four cycle engine (fires every two revolutions) the cylinders are 360 apart in timing, so that when the front is opening a valve, the rear is on the compression or power stroke and you can adjust those valves. Ideally, you find where one valve closes and the other opens immediately, and then you adjust the pair.

  9. #9Diesel Dave2024-01-03 09:32

    Engine valve adjustment procedure is in the 310C Operators Manual as well. John Deere - Technical Information Bookstore Welcome to John Deere C&F Technical Information Bookstore. This site contains operating, maintenance, and service information. www.johndeeretechinfo.com

  10. #10treeguys92752024-01-03 12:23

    So how do I know which is the power stroke

  11. #11Delmer2024-01-03 12:47

    The middle two are a pair of cylinders that will be top dead center at the same time, one will be between exhaust and intake, the other will be between compression and power stroke. So the one that the valves are moving, DON'T adjust those valves, adjust it's pair. The same with the front and back, make a pair. In an inline six, 2 and 5 are the third pair.

  12. #12treeguys92752024-01-03 15:03

    I got it tunnning want to thank every one who helped me with it Ty so much

  13. #13Delmer2024-01-03 16:03

    So what's the story? were the valves too tight, or something else?