Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Darn weather

Welder Dave · 2023-06-18 20:48

After record high's and high fire risk we finally got some rain. Unfortunately now it's just pouring and my MX track is flooded. Will probably be 2 to 3 weeks till it dries up enough to reopen. It seems to go from one extreme to the other. Would be nice to have normal rains of maybe 10 to 15mm instead of steady downpours of 25mm and more.

Replies12
  1. #1Truck Shop2023-06-18 20:57

    51* here this morning at 7, same three nights in a row. In the 27 years I've lived here there has never been a morning even close to that temp in late June.

  2. #2_Weldman_2023-06-18 22:22

    So it just isn't here on low temperatures, highs of 65 on Tuesday, ***? Did the planet do a auto correction and we missed it in the name of climate change. There never said which direction it's actually going. We have had so much rain the ponderosa pine trees have grown 6 plus inches that you can see. Ducks are happy.

  3. #3fast_st2023-06-19 06:59

    I used to ride the MX tracks around San Jose on the off weather days as I was usually the only one there, I got some fantastic gumbo mud riding tips from a pro after the mud ripped off my shock boot and locked the front wheel. His advice was go faster and remember it'll corner more like a jetski. Worked awesomely well

  4. #4Truck Shop2023-06-19 08:02

    44* this morning.

  5. #5_Weldman_2023-06-19 09:31

    I got 3 theories for this. El Níno is really packing a punch, wildfire smoke past couple of years combined with volcanoes has blocked enough sunlight to cause cooling, or winter just doesn’t want to let loose.

  6. #6terex herder2023-06-19 13:48

    Prolly not el nino. but the negative phase of the pacific decadal oscillation. Cold water off the coast of California.

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-06-19 14:58

    Mud is very similar to deep sand. I know an expert rider that probably has faster lap times in the mud. Unbelievable to watch him ride. At an extremely muddy national race he beat 2nd place by 1:37 (almost a full lap) after stopping for new goggles 6 times! Wide left sweeper he was at least a gear higher than anyone else both feet on the pegs full slide flat track style. He was also the best in sand. Weight back, throttle pegged and let the bike kind of go where it wants. Was a real treat to watch. He beat the Canadian GOAT Ross Pederson by 6 seconds in the sand at a national. Pederson got the holeshot the 2nd moto and won but it was like nobody else was in the same race they were so far ahead.

  8. #8Tones2023-06-19 19:49

    Don't forget the solar flares. Potentially the worst ever recorded. Going to disrupt the internet, gps, telecommunications etc etc. Humans are doomed.

  9. #9aighead2023-06-23 14:15

    Weird in Dayton as well. Only one hot week so far, minimal rain for about a month then a good dumping for a day, then a couple days of minor rain. Still cool. Yesterday, I wore a long sleeve shirt to the golf course, but removed it on the 4th, it wasn't that cool. Frogs in the pond seem fine, I haven't seen the turtles for a bit, hummingbird population so far is low. I've seen more lightning bugs this year than any year in the seven we've been at our house, and I think they were so populous then because we had tons and tons of honeysuckle in the yard that got removed, but now I'm not sure as we have less and less honeysuckle as the years go on...

  10. #10Acoals2023-06-23 15:54

    There was this guy on here that kept posting videos that explained it all; it's the Government or the Illuminati or Bill Gates or somebody . . .

  11. #11cuttin edge2023-06-23 17:46

    This morning was 46, and this afternoon was 100.4 with the humidity. So glad I'm not a paver.

  12. #12Welder Dave2023-06-23 18:59

    Or hot tar roofing. Even working in a donair shop with 3 or 4 of the vertical grills on a hot day has to be uncomfortable. You can feel the heat coming off while they're preparing it. Worst I ever had was was cutting drill stem with about a 2 1/2" wall thickness to make make crane weights. I was wearing overalls similar to Carrharts and a leather jacket and the foreman said to grab the biggest tip for the torch from the tool crib. I probably lost 15lbs. that day. It was about 95F in the hot sun. The worst was the reflected heat from heating the pipe to blow the initial hole in it. There were 2 weights with 15 or 16 lengths of drill stem in them. The empty space around them was filled with dry sand. I can't remember but I think they were 12 or 15 tons each.